Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf R - what to buy and when to buy it

Golf R - what to buy and when to buy it

So Iím considering upgrading to a Golf R in a few months. But wanted to rack the brains of any owners on here

1) Whatís everyoneís thoughts on the gearbox
    Options, Iím leaning to the DSG as I think it suits the car best, also I will likely be upping the power so dsg is probably a better option when it comes to dealing with the power? it would be my first auto car, currently in a manual S3, lovely feel to it and Iíd imagine the golf isnít far off it in that respect on the manuals, Iíve heard the clutches donít last too long.

2) import or buy here? For a 2015 DSG model I think VRT was looking at around 6k, and a few nice examples in the Uk for 15-18 Sterling. And a couple here for mid 20s with specs I like.

3) options... I want a DSG (I think) heated seats and any colour but red, is there any must have options that people can think of to look out for? And do all cars have radar cruise control or was that an option?

4) is now the time to buy? They seem to have held value pretty well, a friend paid 30 for his 2 years ago and they donít seem to have come down much from that, do people think theyíre due a comedown soon ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't be disappointed with them. They are a huge step up from previous generation hot hatches. Look into one with DCC

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Vtec addict

I don't have an R, but I've driven a lot of them, and for long periods. I've always been a huge fan of DSG, BUT, it depends n what you want to use the car for? A daily driver? DSG is the one to go for. If it's a car you are just taking for a weekend blast, manual would be my choice. Both are hugely capable machines. My issue with a DSG car is, it's too easy to drive. You will end up in reckless speed territory very quickly, without massive involvement. It will cost around €1,000 for an upgraded clutch, supplied and fitted. The standard ones are weak, and once you map the car, it will end up slipping. I've seen a few DSG cars suffer with clutch slip too, but a gearbox tune generally fixes that.

Irish cars came with slightly better spec than the UK. 19's were standard here, whereas 18's in the UK. I would personally want the car to have 19" Pretorias. Keylessis a handy feature to have, but arguably make the car easier to steal. All have Radar cruisecontrol
    131 520d - 07 Audi A4 S Line - 99 Golf GTI - 04 XJ6 - 02 Golf GTi - 83 Golf Van - Constantly Changing

DCC and DSG are a must for me, make the car equally adept at cursing in comfort as it is as devouring a backroad or anything that gets in it's way in race mode.

There is a torque limit to the DSG box that isn’t much higher than what the car puts out as standard as far as I know. I’ve never really looked into it as I don’t think chipping it is necessary or really adds anything.

I ticked practically every options box other than keyless entry (for security reasons) and those Pretorias as they look like every other wheel out there and I thought (and still think) that the standard wheels jazz up an otherwise standard looking Golf. On the aesthetics I prefer the Golf R only Cadiz blue. It’s a stunning colour and again unique to the Golf R. There’s no shortage of grey, white, red, black Golfs in this world. But each to their own. The Pretorias were like a €100 option by the way.

I think I’ll start with the most expensive option, the carbon leather seats or whatever they are called. Quite rare I believe and I would definitely try to get a car with them. They lift the interior massively. Otherwise it’s plain Jane Golf in there with like blue dials (which are nice too).

I wanted DSG and no regrets. It’s a very nice box.

I have the adjustable suspension. I suspect you could live without it. I generally run it in the normal setting which is probably how the non-adjustable suspension is setup.

Infotainment. I have the widescreen yoke. I detest the blanking panels on the standard unit and I hear the narrow screen version is quite unresponsive so I would go for the widescreen. I have the DynAudio speaker upgrade also. Wasn’t that expensive but also not that fantastic. Nice to have I guess.

I have the winter pack as well which gives something. Heated seats maybe, I can’t remember.

And probably a little known fact but the rear airbags were optional and because this car ferries kids around I ticked it.

Irish cars came with the tech pack which I think basically meant the automatic cruise control (ACC). It’s mostly a nuisance in my opinion and wouldn’t worry about it being on the car. The tech pack probably included stuff like auto lights and maybe auto wipers. That’s useful on the other hand. It has auto-dipping lights which is nice enough.

Irish cars also came with a three year service pack included. Some cars are on variable schedule, some are not. I don’t know why that is.

That’s what I can remember off the top of my head.
    I'm with the resistance

Car isnít a daily really as I live walking distance to the office, but it is used for road trips fairly often and is my only car so would see usual use as giving lifts and to the shops etc.

Have an eye on a limestone grey one in Barnes at the moment. Will probably stick the S3 up for sale end of January Earl feb, wonít be in a position to buy until then as I think it would be foolish to buy the car while still on my probationary period in the new job..... however.... I am an impatient man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    There is a torque limit to the DSG box that isn’t much higher than what the car puts out as standard as far as I know. I’ve never really looked into it as I don’t think chipping it is necessary or really adds anything.
    I think meant to say manual box, as for 'chipping' adding nothing, have you driven a mapped/well modded example ?

Difference between a stock and mapped one is massive.

After driving a mapped one a stock one just feels slow and crap which is crazy to say given how fast the stock car is

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Vtec addict

Quote Originally Posted by tossy View Post
    I think meant to say manual box, as for 'chipping' adding nothing, have you driven a mapped/well modded example ?
    Yes I have. But I have also stepped in and out of my own back to back with quite a few other cars so I know what a Golf R is and what it isn't and tuning it doesn't alter any of that really. It's cheap and easy to do so I guess no real reason not to do it unless you want to keep it standard. I just couldn't be bothered personally.
    I'm with the resistance

Apologies to Jordan for asking a stupid question but how does keyless entry work?

I assume you have the key on you and the car senses it and opens up.
    But how is a car more likely to be stolen if it has keyless entry and does this affect all cars with this system,not just the Golf.