Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FD2 in accident,advise needed

FD2 in accident,advise needed

Wife was on her way home travelling on the Old Cratloe Road Christmas night when a large Rothweiler ran out in front of her resulting in this

Dog was killed ,guards arrived on and despite knocking on a few door owner couldnt be found.
    Guards refused to call an on call vet to check for micro chip but instead offered to call council who would most likely recover dog tommorow and would not examine for microchip.
    On call vet had no intrest in calling to scene if i was to pay

I instead recovered dog in the boot (he was unmarked)

I have an appointment with a veteranary clinic to check for micro chip and disposal.

Not a pleasent experience for any of us.

Any advise on how to proceed?

is insurance bureau worth a shot?
    87 C 14613 Coming Soon To A Crossroads Near You...

I’m pretty sure the owner of that dog can claim off you or it’s in any event far from clear cut so personally the last thing I would do is try to find the owner...
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    I’m pretty sure the owner of that dog can claim off you or it’s in any event far from clear cut so personally the last thing I would do is try to find the owner...
    Didn't think that to be the case. Pretty sure an animal on the road is the owners responsibility and you can pursue them for damages to your car.

Although doing it over xmas sounds like fun....

I’m pretty sure if you hit an animal of value like a horse or a sheep then you’re paying up. Regardless best of luck with proving what actually happened in that accident and who’s fault it was. It’s a significantly less serious variation of hitting a child who ran out on the road. You’re simply at fault. I would rather not get into that conversation with someone personally as that can go any ol way. If I were the owner of the dog... I certainly wouldn’t pay a dime and would possibly make some calls to see what recourse I would have. Other dog owners may take a more hands-on approach.
    I'm with the resistance

Yeah I wouldn't pursue it. I definitely wouldn't have taken the body of the dog....now that you have it you pretty much have a responsibility to find the owner regardless of any claim for damages. If it has no chip, what are you going to do with it?! Assuming it wasn't a stray, you may have a dodgy bumper, but they have lost their pet and from the damage done I think it would be hard to argue that your wife was travelling within her capabilites to stop. I'm not saying she was or wasn't speeding, I'm just saying it will be very hard to prove anything and most insurers will say to split the difference - which means you would be partially liable for disposal of body and replacement of dog which wouldn't be cheap if it was a pure breed.
    It's frustrating, but I would find the owner and unless they offer to compensate, I would leave it alone.

Farmers are liable for their animals if they are on a public road and cause damage. They have, or should have, insurance specifically for this. With a dog, I’m not so sure. Was the dog muzzled? This breed are meant to be muzzled and leashed in public by law. By law, they should have a collar with the name of the owner as well. So you would be a in a good position to seek recourse.

However, all that said, any conversation that starts with “hi, I killed your dog. Can you fix my bumper please?” is unlikely to end well. Also, the type of person that owns an unmarked Rottweiler and lets them roam freely in public without a muzzle, is probably not someone you want to be having any conversation with at all.

Personally, I’d scratch it down to experience and fix your bumper yourself. Unfortunately now you also have to pay for disposal of the dog, assuming there is no microchip. Bad day, but try to get it behind you as quick as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    I’m pretty sure if you hit an animal of value like a horse or a sheep then you’re paying up. Regardless best of luck with proving what actually happened in that accident and who’s fault it was. It’s a significantly less serious variation of hitting a child who ran out on the road. You’re simply at fault. I would rather not get into that conversation with someone personally as that can go any ol way. If I were the owner of the dog... I certainly wouldn’t pay a dime and would possibly make some calls to see what recourse I would have. Other dog owners may take a more hands-on approach.
    Iam actually quiet shocked if we are in some way liable for an animal on the road.If your wife DMZ hit a travellers horse late one night in her car would you feel same?
    Last edited by gambit; 26-12-2019 at 10:28 AM.

To make matters worse the car overheated on my way to work this morning ,i topped it up with water and it pissed out the bottom.Getting it recovered later.Damage adding up.

Last edited by gambit; 26-12-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by natnif View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't pursue it. I definitely wouldn't have taken the body of the dog....now that you have it you pretty much have a responsibility to find the owner regardless of any claim for damages. If it has no chip, what are you going to do with it?! Assuming it wasn't a stray, you may have a dodgy bumper, but they have lost their pet and from the damage done I think it would be hard to argue that your wife was travelling within her capabilites to stop. I'm not saying she was or wasn't speeding, I'm just saying it will be very hard to prove anything and most insurers will say to split the difference - which means you would be partially liable for disposal of body and replacement of dog which wouldn't be cheap if it was a pure breed.
    It's frustrating, but I would find the owner and unless they offer to compensate, I would leave it alone.

I assure you my wife is a good ,careful, experienced driver and car enthusiastic.Even doing a few laps of the Nurburgring a few years back.

We are both in our late 30s,not the stereotypical boy racer type (probably a bit old for this car.lol ) and driving all our lives this it the first animal any of us have ever killed.

I have an appointment with a veterinary clinic today to check for chip and will pay for disposal regardless of out come.

In fact the guards thanked us at the scene for out consideration in removing the dog.

We are dog lovers too,and quiet upset about all aspects of this.

Quote Originally Posted by gambit View Post
    I assure you my wife is a good ,careful, experienced driver and car enthusiastic.Even doing a few laps of the Nurburgring a few years back.

We are both in our late 30s,not the stereotypical boy racer type (probably a bit old for this car.lol ) and driving all our lives this it the first animal any of us have ever killed.

I have an appointment with a veterinary clinic today to check for chip and will pay for disposal regardless of out come.

In fact the guards thanked us at the scene for out consideration in removing the dog.

We are dog lovers too,and quiet upset about all aspects of this.
    Yeah it's a nasty one to figure out really. From your point of view, your car is now damaged through no fault of your own and you want it to be fixed - and why not? That seems perfectly reasonable. I also didn't mean to insinuate your wife did anything wrong, I'm just saying it's very difficult to prove she didn't. But when it comes to an emotional response which you are likely to get, I can't see it being an easy one.

I will say if it was my dog that ran out uncontrolled and caused that amount of damage, I would be offering to pay for it. Hopefully the owner will do the same if you find them.