Page 72 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast

Thread: Yaris GR and GR4

Quote Originally Posted by deltona View Post
    But the GR4 isn't actually a limited series model, is it? Did somebody senior at Toyota not say that if there was demand they'd continue with production to meet that demand?
    I thought I heard some such waffle in all the hype of the last six months, but never checked to see if there was any truth to it.
    Neither is stuff like the Porsche Cayman GTS but people pay over list. As JPW would explain, it goes back to unit cost. They probably have manufacturing capacity for X number of units, X+1 probably adds a massive upfront investment cost in new capacity, so you nearly need to sell twice as much again for it to be worth it, and demand as you say, nearly always tails off as a model ages.

Everyone making cars seems to be going away from the volume game and focusing on margins these days.

Don't manufacturers need to consider fleet emissions now too. presumably the gr is above average for toyota, therefore they might only be able to sell a certain number of cars. I'm sure I read this before about the Suzuki jimny explaining why allocation to the uk was so limited despite demand , it was simply because selling too many would increase the average fleet emissions

Yep, that plays a big part, especially in Europe now.

It's almost like a super-effective import quota in disguise to help protect VW, Renault and PSA get a return on their EV strategies as they go soy-latte-decaf.

Asking 10k STG over list price in the UK for a March delivery now they have allegedly sold out.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02102068761590

Isnt that just full retail price for a 2nd hand car with 6k km on it?

Are new orders taking ages now?

Quote Originally Posted by fasterfitz View Post
    Asking 10k STG over list price in the UK for a March delivery now they have allegedly sold out.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02102068761590
    That's what happens when people start buying cars in big demand.

Dealers start thinking they are selling GT3's and the like and think they
    can screw thousands more out of people.

Its a well known phenomenon with super cars but I didn't think cars at the
    lower end would go that way.
    I don't think that would work here as they are crazy money here as it is.

I give it a couple of months till the negative reviews come out, car is not actually that good after all after all the hype

iirc I remember very ordinary cars going for close to asking even up to a year or so old, simply demand and supply, I remember my then girlfriend selling her 1.4 litre 18 month old golf for not far off what she'd bought it for back in early 2000s

Quote Originally Posted by TPaul View Post
    I give it a couple of months till the negative reviews come out, car is not actually that good after all after all the hype
    I can assure you the car is 100% worthy of the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    I can assure you the car is 100% worthy of the hype.
    I don’t doubt it and I’m sold; I’m just saying I wouldn’t be surprised if some motoring journalists start to take a slightly contrarian view to drum up some attention