Page 71 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Yaris GR and GR4

Quote Originally Posted by Chawkie View Post
    Reliability has crossed my mind too. I know it's a Toyota but it's an impressive output for a 1.6L 3cylinder. It must be a fairly stressed engine
    Litchfield recon it's a very strong engine that can take 450bhp without any internal modifications.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Modern day 2JZ with half the cylinders 😁

Still if it can take that level of power without major internal upgrades,that's pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by llcoolmac View Post
    Litchfield recon it's a very strong engine that can take 450bhp without any internal modifications.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    That's a fairly impressive endorsement and bodes well for long term longevity so.

Heard that they are approaching sold out alright. The factory is going to build a GR Corolla in there next.

Could also be a rumour to get more people to put down orders

On the 450 bhp quote from Litchfield, how do they go about calculating that?

I'm just thinking, it's not exactly in their interest to say Toyota have it almost at its tolerance limit.

Quote Originally Posted by golfr View Post
    On the 450 bhp quote from Litchfield, how do they go about calculating that?

I'm just thinking, it's not exactly in their interest to say Toyota have it almost at its tolerance limit.
    It's probably a educated guestimate based on things like materials used, rods/pistons, rotating mass, block strength, known general weakpoints for design and oil channels. I doubt they've stayed in business this long making crazy claims.

257bhp out of a 1.6 is no big deal these days. Peugeots 308 GTi is a 1.6 4 pot and that makes 250bhp. The bigger bore and chunkier individual cylinders of a 3 pot and squarer overall block dimensions probably work in its favor (inherent imbalance works against it, but there's ways around that).

Quote Originally Posted by golfr View Post
    I see carwow have a Litchfield mapped one up against a standard one. For the benefits of that extra bit of pep, not sure I'd be that interested. It's interesting to see how little difference in reality the extra power makes. With a new car with unproven reliability, I'd want to hold on tight to my warranty. Less of a concern probably for others.
    Yeah there isn't a whole lot in the two cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D6qAIh71aU

Still it does an impressive 0-60 time of 4.63 on a damp track.
    I'd say the standard car was in or around 4.8/4.9.
    So probably not worth loosing the warranty for such a small gain in performance.
    Once out of warranty different story of course

I don't think it will be long until you see various tuners pushing 350hp plus out of the little 3 cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by fasterfitz View Post
    Heard that they are approaching sold out alright. The factory is going to build a GR Corolla in there next.
    But the GR4 isn't actually a limited series model, is it? Did somebody senior at Toyota not say that if there was demand they'd continue with production to meet that demand?
    I thought I heard some such waffle in all the hype of the last six months, but never checked to see if there was any truth to it.

Yeah I've seen that a few times.

They were supposed to be building at least 15/20k of them and no mention of production
    being limited.

The more track focused version they will be launching will most likely be limited though.

https://www.evo.co.uk/toyota/yaris/2...he-nurburgring