Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyboard Warrior Film Critic.

Keyboard Warrior Film Critic.

So went to see Motherless Brooklyn last night to get away from a power outage that lasted a full 24 hours. Two and a half hours into the film you are still wondering when it will really get into its stride and then the end credits come up, the house lights are switched on and the attendant is picking up the rubbish.
    Some nice american cars - especially the blue Bel Air but in the end the main character who is apparently out to avenge the murder of his boss for trying to expose corruption eventually says hey whatever and is satisfied once the main baddie leaves his girlfriend alone. Has all the appearances of a great film but the story line is weak and the outcome in the end is frustratingly inconclusive.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ette-detective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5-y6AE5vvU
    Last edited by SJ; 17-01-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Went to see 1917 recently - some epic battle scenes - well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ajLN9RAsA

Quote Originally Posted by Alfaguy View Post
    So went to see this last night to get away from a power outage that lasted a full 24 hours. Two and a half hours into the film you are still wondering when it will really get into its stride and then the end credits come up, the house lights are switched on and the attendant is picking up the rubbish.
    Some nice american cars - especially the blue Bel Air but in the end the main character who is apparently out to avenge the murder of his boss for trying to expose corruption eventually says hey whatever and is satisfied once the main baddie leaves his girlfriend alone. Has all the appearances of a great film but the story line is weak and the outcome in the end is frustratingly inconclusive.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ette-detective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5-y6AE5vvU
    You won't get very far being a film critic if you don't write the film's title anywhere in your review...
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by hi-rev View Post
    You won't get very far being a film critic if you don't write the film's title anywhere in your review...
    He already said he's not leaving his keyboard.

I haven't seen anything except Star Wars in the cinema lately. It was acceptable, but not as good as the Mandalorian.
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    I haven't seen anything except Star Wars in the cinema lately. It was acceptable, but not as good as the Mandalorian.
    Nothing star wars related apart from the original 3 have been as good as the Mandalorian.

1917 was better than expected.

The Gentlemen very very good.

Jojo Rabbit Hilarious.
    Last edited by tossy; 17-01-2020 at 10:44 AM.

I recommend every one pulls a sickie and sits in to watch 'Das Boot' the director cut

Quote Originally Posted by Notch000 View Post
    I recommend every one pulls a sickie and sits in to watch 'Das Boot' the director cut
    One of my all time favorites. It builds a sense of claustrophobia and dread like no other.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    Haven't seen the latest one or Muppet babies in space yet (I'm sure the Mandalorian is decent but all the internet cares about is baby Yoda).

I liked the cantankerousness of the Last Jedi and willingness not to hold the past sacred, which makes me a little worried about what I've heard about how the latest one goes back to being nostalgia fan service and doesn't take chances.

Thought Rogue One was better than any other modern Star Wars film, It's a war movie in space really.

Managed to watch the Irishman, but not all in one go. I think movies like that really suit Netflix rather than theatres, even if Mr. Scorsese who seems to be turning into the man from UP! would be aghast at that idea. It's good as you'd expect. Surprisingly low key restrained performances given the actors involved. You get the feeling they all cared about telling the story rather than chewing the scenery. Doesn't glamorise gangsters, and shows the lack of true remorse or moral compass. The character doesn't descend into the moral void, he's already there post war, because killing is killing.

The only thing that saddens me a little is that "grown up" movies like this are being cast as an antidote to all Star Wars/Marvel theme park franchise movies, when really the antidote is grown up, actual science fiction (I'd argue Star Wars isn't science fiction for starters, not superhero movies). Stuff like Arrival, which is one of the best movies I've seen ever.