Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEDs vs HIDs in projectors?

LEDs vs HIDs in projectors?

I've recently bought a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe with halogen projectors for dipped beams. I had a similar setup in a rav4 a few years back and it worked great with a HID upgrade.

that was 5 years ago. are HIDs still the way to go or should I go LED?

the bulbs are H7s

LED’s seem only to work well when OEM fitted, otherwise there is a splatter of light. In my opinion HIDs are past tense and most manufacturers have adopted LED.
    Last edited by majordad; 09-12-2019 at 12:49 AM.

LEDs don't seem to work too well in a projector. I asked in MCG in Kells where they sell tons of LED lights and they said the HID would work better in the projector. I also happened to have a pair of H7 LEDs in the shed so I threw them in my X5 for the craic, may aswell have had no lights at all.

Please stop "upgrading" headlights with parts that do not belong.
    The lights are created for one particular type of bulb and that bulb only. The normal H1, H7 etc. bulbs do not cast a straight cone, and the lights in cars are made to fir that exact cone.
    The same for HID/Xenon lights and manufacturer LED lights.

If you want to upgrade lights, only use the OEM kits.
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

For regular parabolic reflectors I completely agree, but I had HIDs in projector lenses on the RAV4 for a year and not once did I get flashed back by someone. A projector lens creates a really defined light pattern, so a HID "upgrade" just makes it brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
    For regular parabolic reflectors I completely agree, but I had HIDs in projector lenses on the RAV4 for a year and not once did I get flashed back by someone. A projector lens creates a really defined light pattern, so a HID "upgrade" just makes it brighter.
    Agreed. I checked this when I fitted HID's to an Audi years ago. Projector lenses so a very sharp cut off. Pointed car at a wall, marked the outline of the top of the beam on the wall. Changed bulbs to HID kit without moving car. Cut off lined up exactly with the mark on the wall when finished, with no adjustments.

I was always a fan of keeping the outer plastic cleaned/ polished. Upgraded h7's and well focused. Never had issues always had decent lights.

The air space inside a projector is very small, so there is little ventilation around the standard H7 bulb. This can cause the reflector behind the bilb to burn out over a period of years (as I found out). The HID runs a lot cooler so is more suitable for a projector, but it is probably not legal.
    ________
    Wheelnut

I saw a car fail an nct because it had HIDs fitted in projector lenses. The tester said it needed to be a factory/oem setup, otherwise they would fail it.

^^^ your right a xenon kit just retrofitted will fail but can be made to pass you need a few items to get there...

A stamped letter from the manufacturer saying that the lamp is type approved for a xenon retrofit.
    A headlamp washer system whereby after the retrofit the lamp produces more than 2000 lumens of light. Not required if it produces less but proof of such would have to be shown.
    A headlamp levelling system.

In other words probably not worth it i have never seen someone try at least?