Thread: Ultraviolette F77 electric - the tipping point for electric motorcycles?

Ultraviolette F77 electric - the tipping point for electric motorcycles?

Electric motorcycles are nothing new, but apart from cheap Chinese mopeds, most of them are so damn expensive compared to a regular motorcycle of a similar class that they're pretty hard to justify.

Now an Indian company is offering the Ultraviolette F77 electric - 450nm, 34bhp, 2.9 second 0-60, 91mph top speed for 350,000 rupees which works out at €4500 Euro give or take. No proper European distribution yet though.

https://www.morebikes.co.uk/64590/so...mfW7diBh9QkU3c

Looks cool anyway, which is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Looks cool anyway, which is very important.
    Would you consider one as a commuter bloke? I'd imagine if you were buying a bike for "spins" on the weekend, an electric one wouldn't be high on your list due to range and weight?

34bHp is very low - probably equivalent to a 400cc? No mention battery size or range - which if not mentioned, leads me to believe that they will be very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkers View Post
    34bHp is very low - probably equivalent to a 400cc? No mention battery size or range - which if not mentioned, leads me to believe that they will be very poor.
    From the article:
    "The Ultraviolette F77 will come with three modular 4.2 kWh Lithium-ion battery packs. The total range (claimed) for the three battery packs is 80 – 94 miles in the city (130-150km)."

Alot of KTM styling there along with colour scheme! Looks pretty well but if the range is 80-94 miles of city driving i imagine it'd be poor for longer motorway speed commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post
    Would you consider one as a commuter bloke? I'd imagine if you were buying a bike for "spins" on the weekend, an electric one wouldn't be high on your list due to range and weight?
    I've only ridden one electric 2 wheeler, a bmw scoot but it was fantastic. Quickest thing off the line ever

the indian prices are no indication of euro on the road prices, Royal Enfields can be bough new for a bout 2K in indian. But they are nearer 10K here with Taxs, dealer mark up etc

A Victory Empulse costs 20k US, there's still plenty of room to undercut the "proper" electric motorcycle market.