Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    On the topic of force feedback joysticks - anyone know if the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 is still compatible with windows 10 nowadays?
    Seems to work.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-0fa97e1cf0ee

I have a Saitek joystick that I just cannot get to work with Windows 10, I've tried everything, old drivers, new drivers, and have just had to give up.

The annoying thing is that I can get it to work initially but after about 1 minute of use it just stops. Nobody is doing force feedback anymore either...

I've the sidewinder force feedback stick too (I've actually got 2 of them). I'd used in with Prepar3D flight sim under Windows 10 without any issues. I believe that the Saitek kit will work with 3rd party drivers, LINDA. I've not tried this though. I picked up a 1TB SSD drive during the week which will be exclusively used for the new sim, though my pc is getting on a bit and is in need of a complete upgrade.

I'll give that a go, cheers!

So you can land your plane on the Nurburgring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiikrL67Iek

...I wonder if we give things a few generations we'll se a shared Forza/Flight Sim world.

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post

Now all the aircraft nerds need is a Sega R360 style rotating arcade cabinet for the fully immersive experience.
    I used to own the vanilla version of the 360 -

IMG_3351.jpg

AfterBurner, Space Harrier and OutRun all ran similar (and very sophisticated for their time) hardware.
    But upon buying my own I quickly realised that the way to play Afterburner was exceptionally violent - slamming the stick from side to side, ramming the throttle from off to on and back again to spin the plane... you either played to win (and accepted you'd be taking it apart to fix it every month) or kept it more as a museum piece. Sega cabinets of that age were beautiful things though.

Quote Originally Posted by VeeAte View Post
    Sega cabinets of that age were beautiful things though.
    Without doubt, and even for a good while after - Look at games like Daytona, Sega Rally, OutRun2 (which is criminally not available for sale a console port anymore because Ferrari are spoilsports) and the pinacle of arcade machines - Ferrari F355 Challenge, which was utterly mind blowing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post
    Without doubt, and even for a good while after - Look at games like Daytona, Sega Rally, OutRun2 (which is criminally not available for sale a console port anymore because Ferrari are spoilsports) and the pinacle of arcade machines - Ferrari F355 Challenge, which was utterly mind blowing at the time.
    /nerdy thread drift alert - The Sega 16bit board (OutRun, Space Harrier, Afternburner) and associated huge, moving cabinets were a reaction to the proliferation of JAMMA cabinets in arcades, which were basically a generic cabinet where you changed game board, marquee and control panel overlay. These meant the arcade owner didn't have to bug a new wooden box, monitors, coin mech, joysticks etc to swap a game, so much cheaper than buying a whole new game. Sega's attitude was feck that - they owned a lot of arcades in Japan, and needed games that could compete with early Amiga and Atari ST games. So they went all out - and the second wave of great arcade cabnet design was born.

Nerd mode off/

Now, dare I ask, can you crash planes into man-made objects in the new Microsoft Flight Sim?

At the risk of dragging this further into retro arcade nerdery, Sega had some arcades outside Japan too. It's gone now, but did you ever visit SegaWorld in Trocadero in London?

7 Floors of top tier cabinets including and not limited to Sega stuff either - there was even the novelty of a projection screen version of Ridge Racer where you sat in an actual MX5. The pic isn't the one from London, but same idea.

https://segaretro.org/SegaWorld_London

Apparently the Trocadero Ridge Racer cabinet was scrapped but on the plus side, the MX5 was converted back for road use. I wonder does anyone know where it is now?

https://gamesyouloved.com/blog/2018/...-in-the-world/
    Last edited by crank_case; 06-08-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Oh, I would make regular visits.

I found the most disappointing aspect of the real MX 5 Ridge Racer was that the car didn't move at all - no hydraulics or electrics to make it feel like it was cornering - which you would have found on much older OutRun cabinets and my particular favourite g-force game, WEC Le Mans:

le-mans-24-m8477.jpg

It basically just spun on its axis, but when you were playing and staring at the screen you really felt like you were cornering. Had a mildly disconcerting thing that when you finished playing you'd realise you were pointing in a completely different direction