Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a track/drive in s field

Creating a track/drive in s field

I need to create a track/drive/access into a grass field.

The most basic approach is a single track up towards back with a turning circle... this would be say 200m long.
    Another approach would be a circle... up towards the back and then back down again a different way, giving access to other areas.

But I guess it would all start with the first.

My first thought is that I would just need to gradually get lorry loads of aggregrate in and have it spread bit by bit.

I have no idea how to work out how much I would need. I guess it should be 2.4m x 200m and the depth should be enough that the grass in the field does just grow right up through it, which is a serious concern.

TBH I'm looking for ideas on how to most easily make some thing that would do. I don't spray/use chemicals, and I don't want to buy 200m of plastic.

Any thoughts???

I think I just worked out that 2.4m x 200m x 30cm depth would be about 250tons

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong! View Post
    I need to create a track/drive/access into a grass field.

The most basic approach is a single track up towards back with a turning circle... this would be say 200m long.
    Another approach would be a circle... up towards the back and then back down again a different way, giving access to other areas.

But I guess it would all start with the first.

My first thought is that I would just need to gradually get lorry loads of aggregrate in and have it spread bit by bit.

I have no idea how to work out how much I would need. I guess it should be 2.4m x 200m and the depth should be enough that the grass in the field does just grow right up through it, which is a serious concern.

TBH I'm looking for ideas on how to most easily make some thing that would do. I don't spray/use chemicals, and I don't want to buy 200m of plastic.

Any thoughts???

My first thought is to make the area as small as possible to reduce cost.
    You will need strip the topsoil, lay a geotextile membrane and then level your aggregate. Unless you're handy on an excavator, a good machine driver is worth it.

Unless you're bringing heavy traffic on it, 150mm of compacted 804 should do you.

The problems is that I don't want to lay any textiles/man made materials, which is why I made it 300mm.
    But if I stripped the grass/some roots that might mean I won't need any.

Or is the material so top it just sinking into the soil?

Making it 2mx200x150mm is 110tons

I guess the main thing is figuring out where you're going to put the pit straight and work out the layout from there.

A load of 804 is about 20-25 tons and around €250-300 per load delivered down here so say €2500-3k & labour & machinery to spread/compact. You could start with a heavier grade to give a better foundation but 804 sets similar to concrete and WILL hold water & give way to potholes so try and have the track falling away from the centre line.
    Good news is I'm not sure I'd bother prepping the ground, at most I'd use the digger spreading to scrape off the top sod but that would likely require more 804 as the grass would help it to bind.
    The grass & weeds will grow through/on top of /beside the track anyway and will look better/more natural in the long run.
    Enough traffic will keep them down or else a good strimming a few times a year.

Road planings are good too and usually free

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post
    I guess the main thing is figuring out where you're going to put the pit straight and work out the layout from there.
    I was so disappointed when I clicked in on this thread too!
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post

You'll also need extra 804 to bank the first corner before the chicane

But on a serious note, You will need to strip the topsoil or the grass will be up through it in a matter of months!