Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Rossís Speeding Proposals

I got one mail back from a cabinet minister yesterday evening. It appears to be a proper reply and acknowledges that other people have raised issues with Shane Ross's attempt to be grab headlines;

Many thanks for your email on this issue. I recognise the issues that you raise and have been raised by others. There has been ongoing discussion about these proposals for much of the last week, with several representatives voicing concerns along the same lines as yours. While I believe we need to be sensible in terms of road traffic policy, it is also important to take actions that can save lives.

I appreciate you forwarding alternative suggestions to deal with this matter. I will certainly share them with my Government colleagues so that they can be considered in the context of what is currently proposed. Rest assured, that any law proposed will have to be rigorously scrutinised by both houses of the Oireachtas and members of the Transport Committee. Amendments can (and I am sure will) be proposed at all stages so that the legislation can be refined. For my own part, I will be following the debate closely with the public interest in mind at all stages.

The responses posted to date in this thread seem to suggest that the proposals will be watered down

Which Minister was that Ste?

Great post Crank, that should be added to the spiel we have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to yesterday's indo,
    "Fine Gael ministers believed a national review of speed limits would delay the introduction of graduated speeding penalties - hitting motorists with harsher sanctions the more they go over the limit - until after the general election.
    But Mr. Ross told the Irish Independent last night that the review of speed limits across the country was almost complete."

According to the article 2 county councils are yet to submit the results of their reviews.
    I personally don't see the link between the review of limits and legislation around the punishment for exceeding them, surely the review is more about the suitability of the limits to the road.
    Seems like Ross is going to use it to push his agenda if he can anyway.

I would love to know more about the type of data that is being collected from accidents and how it is being used. Is this type of thing made publicly available anywhere?

Also mentioned in the article is that he is pushing ahead with plans to force motorists to produce licences after being pulled over by gardai. I thought that came in years ago, no?

Quote Originally Posted by scrappydoo View Post
    Also mentioned in the article is that he is pushing ahead with plans to force motorists to produce licences after being pulled over by gardai. I thought that came in years ago, no?
    He is just behind the times, you see
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

I think they brought the "you must produce your license on demand" thing in, but it was found to be unconstitutional, or at least not legally enforceable on the basis that you're essentially demanding citizens to carry and produce ID on demand, which some people find, y'know, a teensy bit fascist, but they're trying to get the law changed.

I mean practically, it's no big deal for me to have my license in my wallet, but like national ID cards, I think people object to it more on a philosphical level.

Well damnit, now I've Godwin'd the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post

I mean practically, it's no big deal for me to have my license in my wallet, but like national ID cards, I think people object to it more on a philosphical level.
    It's a practical pain in the hole for me because I still have that old fashioned big paper licence and a Secrid wallet. So I leave my licence at home.

The proposed change to the bingo laws were quashed overnight they are afraid of their lives of the OAP vote after the medical card affair some years back. They should be afraid of their lives of the motoring vote too but unfortunately there are too many sheep buying the whole speed kills line to question the more glaring issues like driver education and enforcement.

More people are killed by taking their own life every year than speed but mental well being doesn’t win votes like speed kills.

Quote Originally Posted by tossy View Post
    More people are killed by taking their own life every year than speed but mental well being doesn’t win votes like speed kills.
    Ya its an awful situation but like you said they can scaremonger the SPEED KILLS into getting the vote rather than we're sorting mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Gn3dr View Post
    It's a practical pain in the hole for me because I still have that old fashioned big paper licence and a Secrid wallet. So I leave my licence at home.
    Me too. When does yours expire? I happened to renew about two months before the small card came in. I wanna be one of the last to still have the flimsy pink paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppo View Post
    Me too. When does yours expire? I happened to renew about two months before the small card came in. I wanna be one of the last to still have the flimsy pink paper.
    I think April next year from memory - first world problems