Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Rossís Speeding Proposals

Thank you to all who already supported the petition but we need lot more than 100 signatures. The more we have - the stronger the message will be. Then it can be used as a reasoning with your local TD. There is no better argument then potential number of votes lost...

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Getting quite a few responses at this stage. I'm surprised at the level to be honest.

Get those emails/letters sent

I signed but that petition site is horrible, just tried to get you to sign various other petitions

I'd agree. I only shared it with two people at first. Both failed to add their name. One of them couldn't fathom the page and what to do. The other thought they had to pay 7 euro to add their name, so ran a mile at the thought of being asked for credit card details.
    The wife thought it was directing her to some spammy site when she clicked the Confirm button in the email she received.

It's easy when you take the time to read and choose the appropriate response, but deliberately confusing for quite a lot of people.

I got this back from Pat Casey:

Many thanks for your well argued and detailed email outlining your valid concerns about the latest proposals from Minister Ross. Fianna FŠil have already expressed our deep reservations about this issue and I agree entirely your view that night time policing, addressing poor road conditions, inappropriate speeding, and better and widespread driver education would represent a more appropriate suite of measures to reduce accidents and road fatalities.

Due to the large workload of legislation yet to be passed by this DŠil it is unlikely that there will be a vote held on this matter prior to the General Election due to held early next year. As the proposed bill stands I will not be in a position to vote for this measure.

Thanks again for getting in touch and I will bring your ideas to the attention of our transport spokesperson Deputy Mark McSharry.

Itís good to hear the responses at least, probably motivated by vote buying though!

Was listening to Matt Cooper this evening and he was advocating all cars should not be able to exceed the posted speed limits....

thereís a lot of road to be covered in educating people.

The story has lost coverage now and we were probably a bit slow to get our message out to Prime Time, Cooper and other media / influencer outlets.

Maybe we could work on refining our statement so that itís ready to issue the next time ĎSpeedí hits the headlines?

Dimitri did a nice bit of editing and I sent a version to Miriam Kennedy after her interview on Prime Time -

Dear Miriam

I watched your interview on Prime Time regarding the above topic and felt so exasperated I had to reach out to you.

I canít stand silently any longer while our Minister for Transport, Shane Ross, takes another swipe at the commuters and rural workers of this country by taking excessive steps to criminalise, financially punish and ultimately potentially take us off the road.
    For too long the language in this debate has been emotionally charged, simplified to "speed kills" by the metric makers and too targeted at penalty points to suit the insurance lobbies and actuarists. You need to hear my voice and really think about what Iím saying if you care about saving lives on our roads.

Shane Rossís proposals for speeding offenses are an ill-conceived, crude measure that wonít materially impact the number of road deaths. It seems more and more that past and present governments as well as the state bodies judge success by the stringent measures in place and the number of road traffic offenses. If the proposed changes are legislated, it will have a negligible affect on saving lives and a massive affect on how many people are convicted and excessively penalized for speeding offenses, many of which arenít likely to cause road deaths or accidents in the first place.

There are an enormous number of speed limits that are not suitable for the roads theyíre posted on. When the country changed to the metric speed limits, many of our regional roads changed from 60mph to 80kph (50mph) limits. This also occurs where sections of national primary route are bypassed by motorway. Good quality, safe, roads with too low a speed limit. The country is full of these roads. I commute 45km each way to work on roads like these, and the natural flow of traffic is in excess of the speed limit at all times, in fact to obey the speed limit is to generate a tailback and aggrevate other road users. Yet, this enters into the third band of punishments proposed, and close to the fourth band...a thoroughly excessive 7 points and Ä2,000 fine.

There is a very real danger here of putting commuters off the road for a very small number of offences (2), or driving their insurance premiums up to unsustainable levels after just one offence, and to noticeably slow down the pace of business and life in rural Ireland as a result. How about being more focused and considering more effective measures that may not earn as many political points but will actually count for whatís most important - saving lives.

- Driver education. The uncomfortable truth is that thereís a lot of unskilled drivers on the roads that do not have the knowledge or skills required to know whatís safe and make bad decisions that lead to deaths. Itís so hard to legislate for skill deficiencies, so there is always unfortunately going to be a base level of accidents on our roads. We need to develop a means of continual driver training (like CPD for qualified professions), beyond the initial driver test. This needs to tackle more advanced realities of unsafe driving practices, all road types (unlike our driver test) and assess the drivers suitability to continue holding a licence.

- Policing. The majority of road fatalities occur late at night and in the early hours of the morning, when police resources are at their thinnest. Logically, wouldnít this be the most effective time to police driving standards? But that would cost more in Gardai / GoSafe overtime hours I suppose - which seems to be more important than saving lives... If weíre serious about saving lives, letís pay more than lip service to the resources we put behind it, and not shoot fish in a barrel at peak commute times.

- People on their phones are causing an epidemic of lost car control on the roads, this badly needs higher penalties and targeted enforcement.

- The number of people driving without their headlights on in urban areas this time of year is shocking and wildly more dangerous than many speeding situations, yet there is nothing made or done about this.

- The massive proliferation of cheap tyres on cars has markedly deteriorated the levels of grip a driver has. These are often imported from Asia. While they comply with minimum EU requirements, they are very much the minimum and in indepentent tests are shown to have much less braking capability when new compared to premium brands. Who knows how much worse this gets as the tyres wear towards the legal limit. Check out this independent review video, the link is to youtube and I've fast-forwarded to the brake tests for you - https://youtu.be/xTcxNw3raNE?t=253 - A higher standard of tyres on our roads would mean more braking performance, particularly in wet & greasy conditions and ultimately save lives. This should be very possible to control and regulate by central government.

Itís not speed that kills - itís *inappropriate* speed. Thatís an important subtilty - inappropriate to the road, the conditions, the car, the vision, the tyres, the driver skill, the risk. Thereís a lot more to it than just Ďspeedí and when this country truly understands that and takes intelligent and focused measures to tackle these issues, we will then see road deaths fall to a realistic lower base level, which we can all be proud of achieving.

I think in this focus on how to improve road safety we’ve completely forgotten about the use of agricultural vehicles on our roads. The loopholes for agri vehicles are being exploited wholesale by individuals that couldn’t be bothered getting truck licences. Why should I have to have a closing speed of 50kmh to a vehicle that has WHITE spot lights facing rearwards? Who’s idea was this and are they far away from making legislation ?
    Last edited by Smokey Bear; 02-12-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Not one reply from the 3 local representatives i mailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear View Post
    I think in this focus on how to improve road safety we’ve completely forgotten about the use of agricultural vehicles on our roads. The loopholes for agri vehicles are being exploited wholesale by individuals that couldn’t be bothered getting truck licences. Why should I have to have a closing speed of 50kmh to a vehicle that has WHITE spot lights facing rearwards? Who’s idea was this and are they far away form making legislation now! I reAlly hope so:...
    Not a bad shout, 16 year olds dont have road experience and yet can drive 20t of machinery on the road.