Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Rossís Speeding Proposals

Quote Originally Posted by Rennwagen View Post
    Very Noble, Kingers but wont make a blind bit of difference.
    A Protest to step aside vilage on saturday, 50 cars abandoned for 20 minutes at the main junction, contact the local papers, drivers stand side by side in a ring around the junction.

Now minister, put that in your pipe.

This is Shane ross official email.
    MinistersOffice@dttas.gov.ie

I have emailed him, and allways get a response.
    I sent him an email regarding Scrambler being used off road, similar stuff being mentioned in ghe press, tpuvher laws and penaltues etc, i told him some of my experiences , as a former off road biker and as a resident beside a large park in tallaght. ,
    he thanked me and no knee jerk laws have been passed thankfully , not sure if that was my doing but im taking the credit.
    This is what we should be doing. Politicians are only concerned about the next election. If his voters are having part of there weekend ruined because if his silly proposals heíll soon start to buckle. Particularly as it is getting close to an election.

Ya Iíve sent him one too but we need to try and develop political opposition and arm them with more intelligent debate to counter his proposal when it comes to Dail.

Ya Iíve sent him one too but we need to try and develop political opposition and arm them with more intelligent debate to counter his proposal when it comes to Dail.

But yes, do anything as itís better than just reading this thread and doing nothing.

And share to your own social groups

I e mailed all by Local TD's first time i've ever done so..

One bit i included was the following..

I feel there should be a greater importance put on driver education in this country by Minister Shane Ross, he is the Minister for Transport not Revenue collection. In this country we are learn to drive from a driving instructor Ė lets by honest most instructors teach people how to pass a test. Then we pick up all our generational bad habits from friends and family, Iíve driven all over Europe and while we now have a road network to be proud of we donít have the level of driver education and etiquette to match, everyday I see bad lane discipline, bad roundabout use, tailgating etc this kind of behaviour leads to people becoming frustrated and making bad decisions. We should have a dedicated Driver Ed program in secondary schools of at least one class a week as a start, these are the drivers who are going to be most at risk of being involved in an accident in their late teens early 20ís if it was a successful you could even introduce a system of an insurance discount for students who obtain an A in the leaving cert level driver Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennwagen View Post
    Very Noble, Kingers but wont make a blind bit of difference.
    A Protest to step aside vilage on saturday, 50 cars abandoned for 20 minutes at the main junction, contact the local papers, drivers stand side by side in a ring around the junction.

Now minister, put that in your pipe.

This is Shane ross official email.
    MinistersOffice@dttas.gov.ie

I have emailed him, and allways get a response.
    I sent him an email regarding Scrambler being used off road, similar stuff being mentioned in ghe press, tpuvher laws and penaltues etc, i told him some of my experiences , as a former off road biker and as a resident beside a large park in tallaght. ,
    he thanked me and no knee jerk laws have been passed thankfully , not sure if that was my doing but im taking the credit.
    Thank you, I sent a long email to that address.

Now to find MicheŠl Martin's email address and ask what he will do for a change of vote in the next election...
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by tossy View Post
    I e mailed all by Local TD's first time i've ever done so..

One bit i included was the following..
    Fair play Tossy - great additions

..on the face of it you'd think there should be some merit in a graduated penalty points system, but this proposal in it's current form exposes a couple of fundamental problems.

Firstly, there's the over-reliance on penalty points themselves as a mechanism for keeping the roads safe. The initial concept of penalty points was that they would be used as part of a broader strategy for a small number of dangerous offences, but we use them for every little thing. The consequences of having points on a licence are so great it means the Guards now have no means of giving somebody a slap on the wrists for a petty infringement like getting caught on a junction box, which means the traffic police do nothing except speed trap and check tax and insurance..

(And speaking of insurance, it seems pretty clear that the insurance industry has taken full advantage of the opportunity to load policies based on points without any actuarial evidence.. if points worked you should arguably be a safer driver once your score starts to rack up..!)

Penalty points themselves have a limited usefulness. They operate based on an initial shock value which makes people drive with unnatural level of caution for a brief period after their introduction..

But by definition people can't drive with an unnatural level of caution indefinitely, which is why the penalties need to be made more severe over time to preserve their impact. Generally speaking any initial change in behavior following the introduction of a points system has faded away a year or so after their introduction.

But this eventually leaves you with nowhere else to go.. currently 3 points for a petty speeding infringement is so draconian that upping it to 4 for the same offence is ridiculous.

A second issue this raises is the issue of the speed limits themselves. The 80km/h limit in particular has been rolled out inappropriately all over the country on many roads that should naturally have a 100km/h limit, so a graduated system like this can put careful drivers traveling close enough to the 85th percentile free-speed into pretty serious points territory.

And of course it's also pretty bizarre that anyone would consider a car traveling at 130km/h on a deserted 3-lane, motorway-standard dual carriageway to be as serious a danger to the public as a car traveling at twice the 30km/h limit past a busy school at 9am.. in that sense it's not really a graduated system at all, and smacks of a hodgepodge compromise thrown together by a committee that missed their lunch...

One last point.. we've been manipulated into using the term "speeding" when we should be using terms like careless or dangerous driving. Somebody passing a busy school at twice the legal limit should be charged with dangerous driving.. this sort of offence has nothing to do with a situation where a normally prudent driver drifts a little over an arbitrary limit, and the fact that we now use the same word to describe them both is a triumph of Orwellian Newspeak and the root of many of the problems around this..

Bravo that man - great input Mick.

Send it to your TD

It looks like this was approved by the cabinet yesterday... https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...inet-1.4095451

I will just leave one quote here....

Drivers found to have exceeded the speed limit by less than 10km/h will have two penalty points endorsed on their licence
    LESS THAN 10km/h !!!! 10 !!!! is this for real ? Penelty points stick to your license for 3 years right ?

Speedo in various cars or motorcycles would show different values even when travelling at the same speed. What about the margin of error ? It is extremely easy to go less than 10km/h above the speed limit, even when your speedo shows "correct" speed. This is just laughable.
    Last edited by Mike205; 27-11-2019 at 11:32 AM.
    Any car that merely takes you from A-B does not go far enough.

Looks like I'm a bit to late. I sent Kingers post off to Pearse Doherty.