Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gay Byrne RIP

Gay Byrne RIP

RIP Mr Byrne.

This will probably devide opinion,
    Im not sure if the youngest among us will fully appreciate the influence Gaybo had on the country in a time before interweb, and while the church had its hand around the neck of this nation.
    He was probably vilified slightly for the RSA role in his later years which was a bit pointless IMO.
    Still, a very interesting and successuccessful life in Broadcasting, we could do with more like him.

He was living with cancer for while there, heavily influenced a nation, if there was a RSA position as such back in the late 70's early 80's for him in then he'd have had a better influence on drivers.

RIP
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

He was in broadcasting terms world class, absolute legend the likes of which will never be seen again. He did so much to drag this country out of the dark ages. I met him a few times in passing when i was in RTE in the late nineties and he was always very pleasant, he had a tradition of sitting in the same table in the canteen before the late late on a Friday and it was always reserved for him and his team, would be a brave person who would take that table!

RIP Gay.

Gaybo had a huge influence on the changing face of Ireland, tackling the iron grip of the Catholic Church and the changing attitudes of a very conservative country. Like him or not, his shows were the mainstream viewing and listening for many generations over the years.

He was somewhat of a petrolhead as well, commentating in the early days on stock car racing at Santry, and of course a very keen motorcyclist.

He was already too old for his role with the RSA, and at that stage came over as a grumpy old curmudgeon, which was a pity, because he was genuinely pushing for better training for young drivers.

A couple of years ago I was surprised to hear his familiar voice from behind a white helmet as he was stopped beside me in traffic to ask me about the little Suzuki Cappuccino!

I allways enjoyed when he said,
    "Roll a few there Roisin and give one to every one in the audience". LOL

RIP - He was an Irish legend and always a good friend to the Gardai on his shows. Only little gripe I would have is that he was a bit too negative during the 80's recession saying there was no hope for the country etc and also he was not a fan of the EU.

R.I.P. Gaybo

"Roll it there Roisin!"
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

I bunnyhopped over him on BMX scooter for the toy show years ago, true story bro!

A fantastic interviewer in his day. Especially when you compare him to the current lad, who'll read questions too quickly from a cue card and pay no attention whatsoever to the answers. Gaybo had a way of giving guests time and space.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    I bunnyhopped over him on BMX scooter for the toy show years ago, true story bro!
    There must be footage of that and im sure i watched it.