Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSA and FCA to merge

PSA and FCA to merge

It's been rumoured for quite some time, but looks like it's finally happening. https://autoweek.com/article/car-new...-what-it-means

Can't say I'm overly enthusiastic about it, but I guess it's pretty much essential for the likes of Fiat, Peugeot, Alfa, Opel, Citroen, Dodge, RAM, Jeep etc. to survive, which apart from RAM and maybe Jeep have all been pretty soft in terms of sales in recent times. Craziest stat out of all this - the merger just about brings up this entire conglomerate to roughly the size of Honda, which doesn't have a strong presence in Europe. Kinda shows how inconsequential the entire European car market is at a global scale.

I am saddened a little I must say, but it has been on the cards for a while as you mentioned.

I suppose if it ensures the survival of my beloved Alfa brand then it has to be in some way a good thing.. I just hope Alfa are allowed to continue their current direction, although they've already canned a couple of concepts that seemed promising.
    THE LIMITS OF TYRANTS ARE PRESCRIBED BY THE ENDURANCE OF THOSE WHOM THEY OPPRESS.

In fairness, they've coexisted happily already with the light commercial vehicles.
    www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk5 GTI, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, yadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

A lot of commercial vehicles have been on the same platform for decades. The same goes for the use of engines across PSA and FCA.

So I don't personally think this will change much. The french won't buy Fiat. And the Italians won't by Peugeot or Citroen. So they have to stick with things as in the past And I believe Iveco is also part of that whole shebang.

/M

What will change is platform economies of scale. With Jeep on board, Peugeot/Citroen/DS would have proper SUV platforms, while FCA could use PSAs EV tech to catch up in an area they've been severely lacking.

I thought this was going to be a thread about the private security authority and the reserve defence forces merging in a move that would see FCA members doing the doors of nightclubs armed with FNs.

what's the old phrase?

two turkeys don't make an eagle.....

these mega mergers always look great on paper but the real test is how quickly they can rationalise their supply chains and make stuff people keep buying and want to buy.

and if you look at the history of those things it only really works when cultures line up well, and no idea if they will in this case. Daimler Chrysler proved that one far too well in the recent past as, as the cultures, products, and markets were radically different.

interesting to see how it plays out

One thing I do get a smile out of is seeing "Mopar" stickers on bits of the newer Ducato engines when I'm servicing them lol.
    www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk5 GTI, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, yadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

It looks like Alfa’s plans took a hit as a result. No more GTV, just some poxy SUVs.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post
    Craziest stat out of all this - the merger just about brings up this entire conglomerate to roughly the size of Honda, which doesn't have a strong presence in Europe.
    Honda's revenue in 2018 was ~€127billion (of which €22bn related to Honda Financial Services & Honda's power generation division). FCA's was €110billion, PSA €74billion.