Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: MY05 Impreza STI SpecC

Careful of those pads John, used them before for track days and they destroyed my BBS wheels.
    Not sure if they have changed compound in them since?

Metal stuff came off them and fused to the alloy! Not good.
    DS2500 since and no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamo View Post
    Careful of those pads John, used them before for track days and they destroyed my BBS wheels.
    Not sure if they have changed compound in them since?

Metal stuff came off them and fused to the alloy! Not good.
    DS2500 since and no issues.
    Yeh they're aggressive alright! I've a spare set of wheels there that I'll use for track. I'll see how I get on with them on road/track and if I don't like them I'll throw the DS2500's back in.

I've plenty of detailing gear there to break down any fallout from them after hard driving aswell.

Car is ready to go and being picked up tomorrow. Trackday on Sunday to blow the cobwebs off.

Great stuff and looking forward to some pictures of it!

Re CL pads - I used Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel and that got rid of the fallout from the pads. If you leave them on for long, it's harder to get rid of the brake dust but just try to clean the wheels regularly and you'll be grand

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRA View Post
    Car is ready to go and being picked up tomorrow. Trackday on Sunday to blow the cobwebs off.
    Nice one John.
    Best of luck with it.

Sub 2.04’s now

So I had an absolutely savage day out on Sunday. I'm seriously impressed with the car. It exceeded all expectations in how capable it was around Mondello while being an absolute lolfest and a half. It was fairly handy to get the arse out until the DCCD corrected it gently. It just coaxed the car back straight bit by bit, it's savage feeling it work. The pace and fun factor were unreal, I absolutely love the thing! The geo setup that was on it was a bit too tetchy for me. In lap times, it's probably faster, but I just didn't like it for driving on the road, so after the below work was done, I sent it to Dean Reilly to dial in the factory SpecC geometry.

I had the below done with Dave at RSR and he commented on how tight the car was and straight forward working on with no hidden seized bolt surprises or any other nasties.

-Millers Oil change w/ OEM filter.
    -Roger Clark Motorsport GroupN Baffled Sump Kit.
    -Roger Clark Motorsport Return to sump Oil Catch Tank Kit.
    -Timing Belt Change.
    -Motul RBF600 fluid.
    -Carbon Lorraine RC6 Front Pads.
    -New Brake Line Clips.
    -Header-Head Exhaust Gaskets.
    -Uppipe-Header Exhaust Gasket.
    -OEM Oil Cooler Twin Metal Pipe.
    -Retrimmed Steering Wheel.
    -Eibach Pro Springs.

During the day a chap popped over to say his brother was the first Irish owner of the car. He was also able to confirm what was somewhat an urban legend surrounding the history of the car.

The car was originally bought by Prodrive from Subaru Japan to be turned in to a rally car, but it wouldn't make power/hold boost. It was sold on and a chap in Mayo acquired it as a recce car and eventually sold it on with the same issue. It ended up with what would be the first Irish registered owner. The car then went over to Litchfield to receive "Stage 1" mods and mapping. The lads worked on it up until lunch, and couldn't get it to make power so they went to lunch to scratch their heads.

When they returned, one of the technicians found a sticker over a light on the dash cluster. Low and behold, the car was in some sort of transport mode, which is why it was never going to make power. Out of transport mode and she was on song, mapped up and sent home.

As I mentioned in the Winter Trackday thread, the only issue that cropped up was when I got held up a couple times I was subconsciously feathering the brake pedal and put too much heat in to the caliper/lines/fluid due to the RC6's. I was just overly cautious of not knowing what lads in front were doing driving like Miss Daisy on the racing line when I was going at a much quicker pace. Just lack of manners/experience, but no excuses as we all get the same briefing. I put it down to just people having a hero complex, and I was neither going to break the rules and overtake on the right, nor was I going to go for a dive and end up with someone hitting me.

So other than turning my Gold Brembos to orange, to brown, to a midnight purple/black, I had no issues all day. This apparently isn't a good thing, as cool as it looks. It indicates the caliper reached temperatures that may have melted the dust covers on the pistons. So, strip down and inspect. Yay! I also can't get the dust from the RC6's off with fallout remover, so I may reach for the wheel acid. The joys!

The tyres were great and with not too much scrubbing thanks to the cold/damp conditions. Bit of understeer but only on some corners. All day was literally 4 wheel drift nearly the length of Parabolica. On the second lap I spun full 360 coming in to Tarzan but I learned quick enough what conditions we were dealing with and didn't happen again. The Defi's showed Temps/Pressures holding lovely all day, and dip stick was golden all day with level staying perfect.

Some photos, hopefully some more will surface over the next few days, as there was a bit of interest in the car. I brought a camera and tasked my sister with photos, but she didn't take many unfortunately. I might do the one at the end of December aswell.

Last edited by JohnRA; 16-12-2019 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Missed Photo Upload

Thats an 'influencer' post if I ever saw one!

Looks and reads an ace day out!

Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    Thats an 'influencer' post if I ever saw one!

Looks and reads an ace day out!
    If I can influence another white Japanese turbocharged 2.0 4wd machine on to track I'd be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRA View Post
    If I can influence another white Japanese turbocharged 2.0 4wd machine on to track I'd be happy!
    Maybe I’d say it’s prob 4/5 years the last time i was out on track with mine !

Great stuff John

Good to see you getting out there and enjoying yourself
    as Marcus Gronholm once said "up the arse of timo".....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqQhQSbe6fw