Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MY05 Impreza STI SpecC

MY05 Impreza STI SpecC

What is an Impreza SpecC?

Well, the SpecC formed the basis of many a rally car. It's based off the JDM STI. Except it's lower, harder, 90KG lighter, and stiffer, but also has bits added to aid it's racing pedigree over the "standard" road car. Where does this lightness and stiffness come from and what else is different?

It has a roller bearing Twin Scroll turbo, oil coolers for both engine and transmission. The fuel tank is 50L as opposed to 60L, and there's a 12L water tank in the boot for the Intercooler. Subframe is slightly different, with more seam welding, braces and lighter bumper brackets. Lightweight glass, bootlid, bonnet and no sound deadening. Quick rack steering. Rear rubber suspension bushings are swapped out for pillowball. Strut towers are reinforced and the car received Arai tuned dampers. There's also other finnicky changes such as he wiring loom is in half. Little things like no open door sensor on anywhere other than the drivers door.

Off the top of my head this is how I picked the car up;

2005 STI Spec C
    113,000km. Going through it's history, it's covered less than 19000km in the last 5 years or so.
    3" Milltek exhaust with a 200 cel sports cat.
    Mapped by Aonghus (AP Performance) on 95 Ron plus 100ml of NF Race Octane Booster. Also has broquette or briquette petrol pellets in the tank, which seemed to have worked as Dyno figures have it 340+bhp.
    Whiteline Anti-Lift kit.
    Eibach Rear Camber Bolts.
    Goodridge Braided brake lines.
    HEL braided clutch line.
    Fuel Lab fuel pressure regulator.
    Lightweight Glass.
    Front electric windows.
    BBS STi Wheels.
    Lightweight carpet.
    Aluminium Bonnet and Bootlid.
    Front STI Strut brace.
    Rear Strut brace.
    6 Speed Gearbox with helical front diff (Spec C only).
    Rear Limited Slip Differential (Genuine LSD, unlike standard STi's).
    Brembo's Front and Rear.
    Cosworth Panel Filter.
    Tein Lowering Springs.
    Defi Advance BF Gauges - Boost, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure.
    Plastic Front lip Spoiler.
    Prodrive Oil Cap.
    Prodrive Battery Clamp.
    STi Floors mats.
    Tein Bonnet Lifters.
    Smoked side lights.
    Silvatec chrome bulbs all round to detango.
    Pink 'i' badge.
    Alpine Head Unit.
    Phormula KS3 Knocklink.

Work I've had done.

December 2019 - 117,000km
    STi pedal set.
    Roger Clark Motorsport GroupN Baffled Sump Kit.
    Roger Clark Motorsport Return to sump Oil Catch Tank Kit.
    Timing Belt Change.
    Motul RBF600 fluid.
    Carbon Lorraine RC6 Front Pads.
    New Brake Line Clips.
    Header-Head Exhaust Gaskets.
    Uppipe-Header Exhaust Gasket.
    OEM Oil Cooler Twin Metal Pipe.
    Retrimmed Steering Wheel.
    Eibach Pro Springs.

The car as I picked it up after a quick wash;

My little lad loves it. I took him, my niece and my sister for a spin the day after I got. Threw in a bit of backroads. The giggles of laughter were brilliant. It was like a rollercoaster on wheels for them.

When I dropped my little lad back to his mam on the Sunday, he was cool kid on the block because of daddy's new car. All flocking around it in the estate and getting pally with him. On the way out I had the tweens asking me to "to do a rev". I gave it a couple of social blips, with nods of approvals from the parents. I didn't want to be a yob and being silly in the housing estate and they were happy out with it.

The car is savage. Seriously raw and driver focused. The way it picks up, grips and makes ground is just mind boggling. The way it turns in and the rear diff working is something else. I can't describe it. It's similar to how my DC5 reacted if you put the front wheels on a painted road line, except now I've to deal with that front and rear, and sometimes without a line to explain it. It hasn't stepped out on me but I've been feeding it power gradually. It terrifies me at the moment but I think it's the best way to respect it.

I'm absolutely smitten with it. I dunno what it was, but I had this car on the brain and something told me to log in to ISDC and it was up for sale. It was literally a case of waiting until the right one popped up. I just slightly missed out on a TypeR earlier in the year, and I was contemplating a blue Hawk SpecC, but something was telling me to hang on.

I'm definitely doing the car no justice here but it hasn't been bought to be hidden away. I've bought it to drive and enjoy. It will be very much a weekend and track day car. It wont be used to plod along to the shops for milk. Or it might, if the mood takes me.

As per plans, I'm in two minds about aesthetics. I was slightly tempted to go back to standard. Remove the winglets, splitter and highrise spoiler. I have the standard Enkei wheels there. It's grown on me for now.

So far I've done the following;

Fitted a set of AD08RS's. Fitted a Zunsport top grill. I'll fit the lower grill soon, as the bumper needs to be drilled for that. Measure 17 times and drill once.

The factory horn is terrible, so I bought a Perrin bracket with dual Hella Super Tone horns, but with the extra plumbing work behind the top grill, there's no room for the horn on the drivers side. Some fettling will be needed there. The supplier also never supplied the harness, just the horns and a 12v relay. More fettling required there.

A couple pics during a scrub and fallout remover.

Last edited by JohnRA; 16-12-2019 at 04:51 PM.

That is a very nice car, I have always liked these and still have an itch to scratch. I do like white performance cars lately too Best of luck with it.

Savage car. Really nice in the white too actually.

Well wear John, glad to see this car out and about now.

PIAA horns fitted to my one and no issues at all & I never drilled anything on mine to fit both zun grilles.
    Just popped them in, still there after 8 years.

Nice one! Look better in the flesh

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

That is beautiful John. Enjoy her and looking forward to hearing about your adventures with the car

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    That is a very nice car, I have always liked these and still have an itch to scratch. I do like white performance cars lately too Best of luck with it.
    Definitely scratch it now. I reckon these could sky rocket again in price. I can pop by some day and you can have a gander and go for a quick spin.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Savage car. Really nice in the white too actually.
    Thanks. Savage really is the appropriate word for it. Far more raw than a classic STI, but still nothing bone shattering or teeth clattering about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamo View Post
    Well wear John, glad to see this car out and about now.

PIAA horns fitted to my one and no issues at all & I never drilled anything on mine to fit both zun grilles.
    Just popped them in, still there after 8 years.
    Have you the older half grill in the bottom? Mine fits the whole bottom section, and has 3 little "legs" at the bottom that you've to sit in to three 4mm holes in the bumper and then secure at the top with 4 screws.

Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    Nice one! Look better in the flesh

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    It's not bad for an aul wannabe rally car alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Dec View Post
    That is beautiful John. Enjoy her and looking forward to hearing about your adventures with the car
    Thanks Dec! I will most definitely enjoy it. Planning to get in a couple UK trackdays next year. Some Scottish driving roads etc. If I don't get it across to the 'ring next year with it, definitely the year after.

I’ve full grilles on mine John, never secured them.just popped them in.

Sure it never gets driven hard enough to knock them out

Savage car John. I’m a little jealous. Looks great in white too

Have you a pick handy? I did contemplate cutting the little legs off and just securing by the top.

Quote Originally Posted by -MICK- View Post
    Sure it never gets driven hard enough to knock them out

Savage car John. I’m a little jealous. Looks great in white too
    Cheers Mick. Having seen Grahamo take his out, he's regularly in full atack mode.