Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motorsport season costs

Future Classics is not racing. Might as well go to a trackday!
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

If you want to go down the route of single seaters, Formula Sheane will be the cheapest. Sealed engines/gearbox's, parts are extremely cheap etc, and quite fast too. Cars are also reasonably priced.
    F.Vee will seem initially cheaper to buy a car etc, but to be competitive you've to spend decent money on engine/gearbox, so they end up working out more expensive once you get into it.

But what I would recommend is to start off by doing some arrive and drive packages, to get a feel for different classes and make you decision based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by hi-rev View Post
    You have a grid,podium, 10 rounds, need a race license,

Looks like a racecar, goes like a race car, sounds like a race car and it races other cars, hmmm... Looks like racing to me

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
    Doing it with Twins is better than being Single
    http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?7376-TRD3000GT-Project

Quote Originally Posted by motormouth View Post
    Zetec Fiestas are a good place to start. The cars are cheap and don't depreciate. There was a major clampdown on technical policing this year and the cars are now pretty equal. Also, there was abig push on not allowing cars to race with damage from a previous race meeting and the knock on effect was that there was less damage than in previous years. A car is probably €1750- €2750 depending on pedigree. Most people tell you that a standard bottom end and a head cc'd by the likes of Steve Griffin or Westward etc will have you as good as anyone out there.
    They run KYB shocks and the class have a deal for a full set for just €154 including vat. You also have the bonus of having a car for the 6 Hour at the end of the season- everyone wants to do that one!
    William Kellett won the championship this year and received a test in a SEAT Supercup car as his prize.
    Thanks for that information Motormouth. I know you follow the scene pretty closely so you're bound to be near enough the mark. Zetecs are still high up my list of options.

Good man hi-rev. Where would this forum be without your usual balanced, reasoned and eloquently delivered input.

Quote Originally Posted by TRD3000GT View Post
    After working in a few Karting places ; I headed down about 15 years ago to Mondello , get involved in Go Karting , Rotax max 125 closed block; outside of the initial cost to buy the kart , as an arrive N drive package , 20K budget for a season , this excluded race entry , registration fees, tyres , fluids .... and only within Ireland , the few UK Events where additional

Kart was prepped , transported , stored , you go to use their Marquee , opened my eyes to the cost , crazy money, might as well been F1 money at the age of 22...The pro karts where a bit cheaper with the two honda engines either side

Future Classics , from what I remember was one of the cheaper avenues to take
    Thanks for the input. The budgets for karting have always shocked me. I've read in the past about people on this isle pumping 40k+ into a championship winning season. On the face of it, it doesn't seem like great value for money, but I can easily see how one would slip down the into the money pit chasing motorsport gold.

Quote Originally Posted by twail View Post
    If you want to go down the route of single seaters, Formula Sheane will be the cheapest. Sealed engines/gearbox's, parts are extremely cheap etc, and quite fast too. Cars are also reasonably priced.
    F.Vee will seem initially cheaper to buy a car etc, but to be competitive you've to spend decent money on engine/gearbox, so they end up working out more expensive once you get into it.

But what I would recommend is to start off by doing some arrive and drive packages, to get a feel for different classes and make you decision based on that.
    Thanks Twail. I am starting to think Arrive and drive is the best option for me for now, regardless of the race class. For various reasons, with a young and growing family I'm unlikely to be able to take 6 or 7 whole weekends off next season, so regardless of whether budget and being competitive was a major concern or not, I just wouldn't be showing up enough to justify having my own set up (maybe something cheap like Zetec aside).

Funnily enough Future classics is attracting me because of how it's set up. I'm building a punto.mk1 for next year that I can drive flat out and run just on the barrier time. Without the danger of the fiesta demolition derby situations at times, the cheating allegations, the facebook fights etc .
    Tbh I'm surprised at the costs so far around the car, I was expecting it to be a lot worse re engine work and parts etc.

When I was Stryker racing, I used to keep all costs recorded and the cheapest season I had was €5k, where nothing broke and there wasn’t much scope for improvements either due to regs. That cost included everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingers View Post
    When I was Stryker racing, I used to keep all costs recorded and the cheapest season I had was €5k, where nothing broke and there wasn’t much scope for improvements either due to regs. That cost included everything.
    Thanks Kingers, that's a useful datapoint. And you're a far braver man than I keeping a record of your "going round in circles" costs

I keep a record of all costs as well, but I don't show it to anyone!

Similar to Kingers, a full season of Vee's in 2018 cost me €5,200, and that includes license, fuel, entries, parts, consumables, end of season engine refresh, grub for the weekend, everything!

Quote Originally Posted by vincenzolorenzo View Post
    I keep a record of all costs as well, but I don't show it to anyone!

Similar to Kingers, a full season of Vee's in 2018 cost me €5,200, and that includes license, fuel, entries, parts, consumables, end of season engine refresh, grub for the weekend, everything!
    Thanks. Yes, not the sort of records you want the missus coming across To be honest, I had expected either of those classes to cost a lot more. I was more preparing myself for a 20k budget. I'm sure I cold easily spend that if I wanted, but good to know you don't have to.

Its all down to luck really.Even if a season in most classes can be done for about 5k with everything going well you still have to be prepared for it being more if you have some bad luck with crashes, engine blow ups etc.

For example I had lots of good luck in 2014 and won the GT and the Hawthorn championships for an outlay of less than 5k.Whereas the previous year I only did 3 weekends, had lots of crashes and won nothing.And it probably cost me more.

So find out the approximate cost with everything going without a hitch and thats your starting point.But be prepared that if luck is not with you that costs can quickly spiral.

And if arrive a drive is what you want then consider the Supercars too.It would be more expensive than Zetec Fiestas but they are much faster and more fun to drive cars.I did a weekend in one and they are great craic.