Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kit Cars in Ireland

I've nothing to add other than well done for taking up the challenge and making some progress. if kit cars were made more achievable in Ireland we'd surely see more of them around

Wow - IVAI would be a great first step.

Any idea how CO2 based VRT and Road Tax would be handled on a post 2008 car that only has IVA/IVAI certification? Is it just going to the top rate or is there something more reasonable?

That’s good news, I’ve always liked some of the kit car interpretations and perhaps when the Cappuccino dies, I might consider one!

Cheers guys, glad to see so many positive responses on here! With regard to the CO2 question, my knowledge here is limited, as I didn't go down the "new crate engine" route when I built, but I believe it'd be based off the quoted CO2 figures from the engine manufacturer, just the same as a factory car being registered today. Hoping to know more about this as the conversations progress with the NSAI though!

Following this thread with interest. Best of luck with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be exempt from VRT with the transfer of residency exemption. You’ll find info about it on the revenue website.

Like pretty much anyone with an interest in drivers cars, I’ve a hankering for a 7alike so this is all great news, especially on the insurance front so thanks for persevering and helping to get the club back on its feet!

Hi Andrew, I just sent you an email about the IKCC insurance. I have been phoning around today about kit car insurance and so far the following have said no way, eff off:

Axa
    Abbeyautoline
    First Ireland

going to try FBD, Campions, Chubb but hoping IKCC might have some leads!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewOBW View Post
    Cheers guys, glad to see so many positive responses on here! With regard to the CO2 question, my knowledge here is limited, as I didn't go down the "new crate engine" route when I built, but I believe it'd be based off the quoted CO2 figures from the engine manufacturer, just the same as a factory car being registered today. Hoping to know more about this as the conversations progress with the NSAI though!
    It would be amazing if they could take the route of basing the tax off the primary donor vehicle. I just can't justify over 2 grand a year on a car that's a pure toy - especially as even our "regular" car didn't even cover much mileage before the pandemic, never mind now. I mean a big part of the whole point of building a kit car is being able to tinker with it easily, so it's always going to be off the road half the time. You want to spend money on new parts, not tax.

Aside from the obvious 7, I quite fancy a Fury or a Mojo/Jester/J15. I think the Mojo type cars would be a very attainable build, because unlike in the past where you could just find an old Sierra for a RWD engine/gearbox donor, RWD donors are not as common now. These get around that problem by mounting the engine transversly in the rear like a poor mans Ariel Atom. Even a 75bhp Fiesta Zetec would fly, never mind something more potent.

Last edited by crank_case; 15-01-2021 at 02:51 PM.

100% agree there on the emissions and tax. Its certainly a point I plan on taking up with the NSAI (and subsequently revenue) as we get into the details of IVA testing. I would imagine quite a bit of research will be needed to show the environmental impact of building a kit car, and as such extending the life of an engine (and other parts) that's already been built, isn't comparible to the environmental impact of an entirely new vehicle and shouldn't be taxes as such.

I don't 100% know if I'll get to keep my age related plate, but hoping to confirm at the end of the month when I have my appointment with the VRT office.

The best shot we'll have at making this stuff possible though will be through a strong club, so please do join up and give us a hand to progress! You don't have to own a kit car to be a member!