Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space Saver Wheel/Tyres.. a question

Space Saver Wheel/Tyres.. a question

I understand the recommendations on maximum speed on space-saver tyres based on the reduction in grip at one corner - but I've also seen the following:

The maximum distance you can drive on a space saver tyre is usually marked as around 50 miles (80km) but if necessary they can be driven up to 300 miles (500km) on good surfaces as slow speeds.

Are there solid technical reasons for this, or is it just guidance to encourage motorists to get the original tyre back in place sooner rather than later to reduce the time spent with mismatched tyres/lowered grip ?

There is no excuse to have a spacesaver on longer than the trip to the tyre place to get original repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by blascae111 View Post
    There is no excuse to have a spacesaver on longer than the trip to the tyre place to get original repaired.
    Weeellllll..... there are exceptions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Weeellllll..... there are exceptions...
    That Merc is being run on FOUR space-savers which is not your typical emergency.
    I would be happy enough to run a space-saver more than fifty miles provided it is at the correct pressure, which is usually about 60PSI. But common sense must prevail and I would not set off on a journey with a space-saver fitted. What I mean about the fifty miles is that if I had a space-saver and I used it a number of times over the course of a few years, and the accumulated mileage was more than fifty, I would not worry.

The space saver has the same recommendation as run-flat tyres (50 miles at 50MPH) but they should not be confused. The run-flat will destroy itself eventually but the space-saver will give longer service if it is run properly.
    ________
    Wheelnut

Quote Originally Posted by blascae111 View Post
    Why - because of the lowered grip, or something else ?

Hypothetically say, you are at the far side of the country - of a Saturday evening - and you've ripped the sidewall of a tyre behind repair. Local garage can neither repair the original nor secure a suitably sized replacement until Monday midday latest. What do you do then ?
    Last edited by -alan-; 11-10-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Drive on it, if the puncture was on the front I'd swap it to the rear and keep the steering wheels* under full thread and keep the speed to the 50mph or call your roadside assistance people.

*provided your not messing and are actually using the front wheels to steer.
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

There is a chap bringing his kids to school in an Impreza with the front left on a space saver since Christmas..... It also has a blowing exhaust etc..... .I'm assuming the chap just has no money....

There's an old Yaris running around Lucan for well over a year with a space-saver on the offside rear.........must be long overdue an NCT at this stage! She carries kids and I wouldn't fancy her chances in an emergency stop on a slippy road. I don't understand this mentality.

It's supposed to be a temporary fix pending repair/replacement of a proper road tyre. I wouldn't use one any longer than necessary.
    Beware of imitations; there's another lawyer out there calling himself "Lucanlaw!" So the writing on the wall may be a forgery!

Quote Originally Posted by lucanlaw View Post
    It's supposed to be a temporary fix pending repair/replacement of a proper road tyre. I wouldn't use one any longer than necessary.
    What size tyres are on your 2CV? They can't be much wider than a space-saver.
    ________
    Wheelnut

I can confirm space savers were never intended for this anyway

Far too grippy and very soft compound, worn out in less than 2 miles