Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 motor tax

It's a one off surcharge on top of VRT. NOx value is on your CoC and has been for ages. As far as I know it goes right back to when CoC began in about 1996. There is a cap on the surcharge, different levels for petrol and diesel. Assume if you can't prove the number you'll pay the max.

Is the price of the "TAX" they are referring to in the article and the budget is PER YEAR or is this just ONCE OFF price on top of you VRT when you are importing the car ???
    Yesterday I gave up my seat on the bus for a blind person
    Today, I lost my job as a bus driver. This world is too cruel for the kind hearted..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike205 View Post
    Is the price of the "TAX" they are referring to in the article and the budget is PER YEAR or is this just ONCE OFF price on top of you VRT when you are importing the car ???
    See above. One off.

Per JPWs post it is a once off charge, it hasn't been made very clear though in most of the coverage.
    Its not going to affect me as I'll have my e39 525d imported next week but I'm struggling to find an official figure for it. Only one I found so far is 59mg which cant be right.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by philb View Post
    Per JPWs post it is a once off charge, it hasn't been made very clear though in most of the coverage.
    Its not going to affect me as I'll have my e39 525d imported next week but I'm struggling to find an official figure for it. Only one I found so far is 59mg which cant be right.

Well I might not have found the exact version but 433mg/km is what I came up with, based on Euro 3.

Ok, so it's a good thing I went for the car when I did. An e39 525d is 436mg/km which works out at a cool 9500 just on the nox charge. So that's the last of them into the country.
    Motor tax itself has not been touched, presumably because of the uproar that would cause if they were to apply a similar hike.

I think the cap for diesel is just under 5k. But still the same outcome.

Ok wasnt aware of the cap, but yes the aim will have been achieved. Even 1-2k on more commonly imported newish cars such as the golfs etc is going to have a huge effect.

Well. Diesels are the Japanese knotweed of the motoring market. If this means fewer of them, then good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by mk2glenn View Post
    I read something yesterday that a German magazine tested either a BMW or a Mercedes in the real world and came very close to the low manufacturer reported NOx emissions, however true that is I don't know.
    Yep for the first time ever, diesel emissions as measured in the lab are real. All thanks to WLTP. Some diesels are as low as petrols now. So in fairness, no need to ban or throw misery at the very latest diesels as they do what it says on the tin.
    I'm with the resistance