Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: 2020 motor tax

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Deep South, way on down
    Posts
    253

    2020 motor tax

    Don't know how right this is, but my father is the the trade, and talking to one of the lads in the VW dealership next door, some of the Golf's will be €1'500 to tax next year he was told. Mitsubishi Eclipse will be about €400 more to tax.

    Any others?

  2. #2
    2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - mini project
    2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo - resting for now
    2002 Alfa 166 2.0 Blu Odissea - Donor
    2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - Daily Driver
    2000 Alfa 156 2.0 TS Selespeed Sportwagon Vela Blu - Donor
    1999 Alfa 166 2.0 TS Alfa Rosso - project
    1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
    1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaromeo84 View Post
    Don't know how right this is, but my father is the the trade, and talking to one of the lads in the VW dealership next door, some of the Golf's will be €1'500 to tax next year he was told. Mitsubishi Eclipse will be about €400 more to tax.

    Any others?
    Based on what? Did they announce anything of the sort in the budget?

  4. #4
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...orts-1.4043840

    Are you mixing up motor tax and vrt/import taxes?

    The above indeed says some golf models will have a NOx charge of up to 1500 quid, but that's an extra import/registration tax based on emissions, so it's a once off and not an annual motor tax charge as we know it.

    Have to laugh at the claimed (and taken as gospel) BMW emission figures though: (I'd love to see them measured post DPF surgery


    "For example, a 2013 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI (and the Golf is currently the most popular imported car) has NOx emissions of 118mg/km. That would incur a NOx tax charge of €1,510. Given that a 2013 Golf would currently be charged only €1,500 or so in terms of VRT when it’s imported, that may well prove a significant barrier to second-hand car shopping in the UK.

    With other models, though, the impact will be minimal. For example, a BMW 520d executive saloon from 2015 (again, a hugely popular car among those importing from the UK) has rated NOx emissions of just 17mg/km, so would only be charged €85 in NOx tax. Equally, an Audi A6 2.0 TDI diesel saloon, also from 2015, has NOx emissions of 55mg/km, so while it will be a little more expensive, the total charge will amount to just €275.

  5. #5
    From that article;

    Under the new system, a car producing up to 60 milligrammes of NOx per kilometre will be taxed - on registration - at €5 per gramme per kilometre up to 60 milligrammes. From 61 milligrammes to 80, it will be taxed at €15 per millgramme and any figure over 81 milligrammes will be taxed at €25 per milligramme.

    In simple terms, a Volkswagen Golf built in 2013 and producing 118 milligrammes of NOx per kilometre will now attract a tax of €1,550.

    And a car producing 90 grammes per kilometre will have a tax of €850.


    How can you check your emissions?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by daves86 View Post
    From that article;

    Under the new system, a car producing up to 60 milligrammes of NOx per kilometre will be taxed - on registration - at €5 per gramme per kilometre up to 60 milligrammes. From 61 milligrammes to 80, it will be taxed at €15 per millgramme and any figure over 81 milligrammes will be taxed at €25 per milligramme.

    In simple terms, a Volkswagen Golf built in 2013 and producing 118 milligrammes of NOx per kilometre will now attract a tax of €1,550.

    And a car producing 90 grammes per kilometre will have a tax of €850.


    How can you check your emissions?
    That depends if you want the truth or the manufacturer's claimed figures I suppose?
    2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - mini project
    2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo - resting for now
    2002 Alfa 166 2.0 Blu Odissea - Donor
    2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - Daily Driver
    2000 Alfa 156 2.0 TS Selespeed Sportwagon Vela Blu - Donor
    1999 Alfa 166 2.0 TS Alfa Rosso - project
    1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
    1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Roarsbaby View Post
    That depends if you want the truth or the manufacturer's claimed figures I suppose?
    Nobody (paying) wants the truth, that's for sure. I suppose this is VW emissions gate coming home to roost. But BMW are havin' a larf with their 520D claims. The lads behind the wheel emit more noxiousness than the car according to them.

  8. #8
    Dont know what them golfs are doing but a quick internet search says my M135i only produced 20 milligrams per kilometer. Them dirty diesels must be particularly bad.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Have to laugh at the claimed (and taken as gospel) BMW emission figures though: (I'd love to see them measured post DPF surgery

    .
    I read something yesterday that a German magazine tested either a BMW or a Mercedes in the real world and came very close to the low manufacturer reported NOx emissions, however true that is I don't know.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    County Limerick
    Posts
    946
    Quote Originally Posted by mk2glenn View Post
    I read something yesterday that a German magazine tested either a BMW or a Mercedes in the real world and came very close to the low manufacturer reported NOx emissions, however true that is I don't know.
    Did they receive a gratuity from said manufacturer i wonder....

    Any idea how this NOx thing will affect older cars that wouldn't have manufacturer figures?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •