Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will driving polluting cars ever really become socially unacceptable

Madrid brought in a measure banning certain vehicles from driving around parts of the city centre along the lines of what you're suggesting around the end of last year and pollution levels (and obviously congestion) have gone down massively since.

There's a new Mayor in place now though who's keen to reverse it even with the stats backing up the big upturn in air quality since it was brought in!

This was some of the original coverage when it was introduced.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...om-city-centre

Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    There you have it! Drive on!

"Kill all cars!! (just don't mention the airline industry, concrete industry, home heating system emissions, shipping...... Kill the cars!!!"
    You forgot the farting cows!

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    Funny thing, I was thinking the exact same thing today. I happened to be on my electric scooter so got that same perspective of roads clogged by cars just sitting there spewing out stuff while I was gracefully making progress. In cities at least, it’s hard to understand why we put up with it. I read the other day that in Paris they have a programme to reclaim the streets which I have to assume makes the place a whole lot more pleasant. I have to assume that driving in cities will be a thing of the past. Sure EVs will at least remove the emissions part but they still take up a lot of space.
    I too switched from using the car around town to an electric bike (a hybrid as you have to put some effort in) and now see the logic in restricting city centres to public transport and bikes, scooters and feet. I reserve my carbon credits for the occasional blast around Mondello in the Busso Alfa.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterboxster View Post
    You forgot the farting cows!
    It's more so the belching I believe.... and above all else, our planet is year by year, decade by decade... slowly being drawn close and closer to the sun and the sun is very warm.... I mean... incredibly warm.... almost burning hot like..... so is this global warming thing just all poppycock to drive up prices on everything.... business doesn't get hurt, just the end users, us...… again??
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

Personally think it's already viewed negatively to be in a big diesel.

I think it's worth mentioning that old diesels are not major health threat we all hear about and that it's actually common rail stuff that makes the micro particals that effect people's health. It's injection pressure is 10 times that or a old diesel pump.

I also think as someone who gets about 23mpg in a 25year old car that I'm much better for the environment than buying a new car. As I don't believe a car can ever produce a bigger carbon footprint than what went into its original manufacturing. I'm not better for the economic system though.

As a aside to this a large amount of minerals that go into the manufacturing of tech like lithium and coltan come from modern day slavery and huge amounts of pollution much greater than what a domestic population could produce. Its industry that needs to really change not more over than the ordinary person.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

There are enough studies published in peer reviewed journals that suggest climate change is very real. And anyway, even if it isn't and we make efforts to reduce it, the worst that can happen is that we'll end up with a cleaner planet.

Irelands impact on the global environment is a drop in the ocean compared to the US, China and Russia, but we should still make efforts to change.

Ok, maybe I'm not one to talk with a forester sti on the way, on a ship from Japan, but i have made massive efforts to reduce my overall footprint. Its not just about cars.

I walk or cycle places as much as possible, i carry a keepcup with me for coffee, rather than using a disposable cup every time, only buy fruit and veg loose and don't put them in plastic bags, only eat meat or fish on occasion (maybe 6 times a year at most), bake my own bread so I can avoid packaging that most bread comes in, use beeswax wraps instead of clingfilm and a reusablr baking sheet instead of a roll of parchment. I get milk delivered by an electric van in glass bottles, and we get as much of our flour, nuts, seeds, grains, shower gel, shampoo etc from a refill shop. We only buy what we need, recycle as much as possible, and compost our food waste. We don't put the heating on unless it's still cold after you put a jumper on.

Clothes are a big thing. I only buy good quality sustainable clothes (mostly patagonia) that lasts a long time. Fast fashion is a massive contributor to the damage we're doing.

The direct side effect for me is that I'm spending less, I'm healthier, and I'm making less trips to the rubbish bin.

I'm conscious a lot of this is easier for me right now living in London, and I won't have access to refill shops etc when we move home to west of Ireland, but that will just mean buying in bulk and reducing elsewhere.

To put a different twist on this. We (my petrol head mates) were talking about the long term value of cars. You know buy that mint STI or low mileage porsche. Stick it in the shed and sell in 20 years time for a massive profit.
    And we got to thinking what happens if in 20 years owning any of these cars is seen as socially un-acceptable their value will drop, if not fall off a cliff.

Why would any eco friendly teen ever grow up to love petrol monsters and want to spend their money on a v8.

A mid life crisis used to mean buying a sports car. Now its start running marathons.

P.s. I am also from the school of “willful waste leads to woeful want” (my dads favourite saying)

I was brought up to fix everything, mind what you have and throw nothing out. My grandmother never had a bin she had a place for things. Scrap Metal was sold or reused, glass was returned, paper bags covered books or lined baking tins, scraps went to the animals etc. I still try do this as much as possible and i detest the plastic crap that comes home with the kids or excess wrapping on our shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a major thing that's happening are the bike and scooter schemes. I've been to cities where you just pick up some mode of transport off the footpath and rock on. Once you have this, all you really need is to get somewhere in the vicinity with public transport and then you can just cover the last couple of km either on foot or some other method. Driving just turns out to be stupid. I'm guessing this is why these scooter rental outfits are worth billions because there is a realisation/hope/gamble that transport in cities is about to change in a major way.
    I'm with the resistance

I work in the city centre in a tech company populated mostly with millenial snowflakes who don't drive, have no interest in driving and certainly frown on the likes of me who has an interest in turning fossil fuels into happiness and tyres into smoke. I find it rather entertaining actually... especially when they pack up their reusable cutlery and head to the airport most weekends.... I guess phenomenal amounts of Jet A-1 that is consumed in Dublin airport is magical unicorn dust that does nothing to harm the planet....

So to me that generation not having an interest in cars is a step towards a cleaner Ireland, that and the fact the new communist regime says I can no longer use a plastic straw. But we use reusable shopping bags, we recycle, use biodegradable packaging but not because we want to but because we are taxed to do so. So as an individual I've done my bit.

One chap is eagerly awaiting his new Tesla and he is a hero however when quized on it, by me, it'll take 16 years to be carbon neutral as it is being driven across the US to get it to Europe quicker. I asked a snowflake would they buy a used 10 year old phone? Well that's what that Tesla will be in 10 years time, not 16!

Dublin city centre should be car free, or congestion charged at the very least. It's a ballache of a place to drive in anyway why people want to is beyond me but speeding up the buses in the city would certainly make it slightly more attractive to use public transport. Again a simple step that would have a benefit and an immediate impact.

Another €2 on a tank of fuel doesn't achieve anything other than hurt those on middle and low incomes.

So the hate, yeah it'll get worse, the masses will go hybrid or electric, good for them, more diesel for me!