Thread: looking for a 12v aircon compressor and system

looking for a 12v aircon compressor and system

hey

so a friend is looking for a 12v aircon compressor and supporting bits for a complete system for a project.

a few companies do them, but he's trying to find what vehicles would have come with an electrically driven system instead of a belt, so he can go do some scavenging

anyone have any ideas?

Motor vehicle manufacturers will only have fitted contemporary aircon units driven as ancillaries from the main power unit.
    Aftermarket companies did supply 12v systems. There was a company somewhere in Dublin which did them but I can't remember one jot of info on them. Sorry. It was more than 15 years ago that I saw one of their installations in a vehicle.

Depending on what the project is it might be worth looking for 12v camping aircon units for tents. Or approaching some companies who do minibus conversions and might have used an electrical system in a small bus.

What air con units are fitted in the likes of a leaf or tesla?

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 22rabbits View Post
    What air con units are fitted in the likes of a leaf or tesla?

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Neither vehicle use 12v for the aircon. AFAIK the compressors are powered by the high voltage lithium ion battery pack. I stand to be corrected of course, but that was my understanding when these things first came to market.

Quote Originally Posted by deltona View Post
    Neither vehicle use 12v for the aircon. AFAIK the compressors are powered by the high voltage lithium ion battery pack. I stand to be corrected of course, but that was my understanding when these things first came to market.
    I dont know to be honest but they do operate a 12v battery for auxiliaries.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

In the early Leaf the blower motor, power steering, and brake booster were run off 12v, whilst the aircon compressor was run from the high voltage system. I'd imagine it's not too different from one manufacturer to the next.

thanks folks for the info - passed on and much appreciated!

I know hot rodders fit systems made by Vintage Air Ltd they might be worth a look.