Thread: Kia 1.6 Crdi limp mode - TPS?

Kia 1.6 Crdi limp mode - TPS?

Hey all,

Have a 2009 Kia Soul 1.6 Crdi(same lump is in the Ceed and probably numerous others) here that's gone into limp mode when the missus was driving home from work.

Engine light came on and with my cheapy OBD reader the following codes appeared:

P2127 - Throttle/pedal position sensor
    P2138 - throttle/pedal position sensor
    P12bf - Something to do with torque monitoring?

I cleared the codes, disconnected the battery for a while...the usual quick fixes but the problem remains. Since resetting the engine light hasn't come back nor have the fault codes but the car will barely rev at all (as if in limp mode).

This is the first (and last) diesel in our household so I'm not really as familiar with them. If it is the throttle position sensor I would expect to see it where the air enters the engine, the throttle body, right? Pop it off and replace, yeah? But things look different in this engine bay/I'm a mechanical idiot.

I'm not sure how reliable these cheep readers are but has anyone any ideas of most likely solutions to try?

Thanks!

Any other lights on? What sort of driving does she do?

Quote Originally Posted by spoiler_alert View Post
    has anyone any ideas of most likely solutions to try?

Thanks!
    take it to a qualified mechanic. let them fix it, and get on with your life.

No other lights bar the engine light. She cuts all power if you rev her past around 1800rpm but will bumble along if driven off the clutch with no accelerator input. I'm thinking this is just limp mode which I've seen in other cars before? Planning to have a look at replacement TPS and see how it goes.

@DaBeardedWonder The "technical issues" subforum would be fairly pointless if that was the advice given to everyone. The car isn't essential so I'm happy to potter about and try fix it myself in my own time and learn along the way. This is an enthusiasts forum after all? Thanks for the input anyway.

It's strange that it is still im limp mode having cleared codes and disconnected battery. How long did you leave the battery disconnected? You might need more than a bluetooth dongle to get it out of limp mode? I'm not much help, sorry! I'm interested though, my wife has the same car!

Just an update on this in case anyone stumbles here from Google...

The problem seems to have been related to the sensor which measures the accelerator pedal inputs. I unplugged it then plugged it back in et voila she's back to normal. The old IT turn her off and back on again trick!
    Obviously not the most sophisticated fix so will see if it happens again and then look at a replacement part.

Happy days for now

Well done you. As you said above ... "try fix it myself in my own time and learn along the way"