Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 4 day working week.

You raise a good point. I actually can’t take holidays fully as if I do then someone else will move in on my patch. The world doesn’t wait for me while I’m dossing. So I have the choice of getting stressed over work or the choice of getting stressed over getting shafted by not working. As an example, I know the good spots for mobile signal or WiFi in most theme parks...
    I'm with the resistance

Great idea, everyone should bring that up at their meetings today. Who knows, maybe some boss will think it's a good idea... BUT knowing my boss he would like to add extra 2 days into a week to get things done.
    Yesterday I gave up my seat on the bus for a blind person
    Today, I lost my job as a bus driver. This world is too cruel for the kind hearted..

Quote Originally Posted by mikerd4 View Post
    Cleverer people than me have done studies showing productivity goes up believe it or not.
    Years ago when I was first cutting my teeth in people management I ran a team of about 11 people who answered customer emails. Two employees in particular would visibly tire on Day 5 - otherwise fit and healthy, but both of them found the 5 days just too much. The main work measure was productivity/throughput so it was also easy to see that their assertion was supported by data. Eventually one of the two suggested to move to a 4 day week on a trial basis and I also discussed this with the other person who felt it could be a solution too.

There was some HR procedural work to do - they had to move to a PT contract, payroll had to be informed etc. and there were some minor impacts to perks but long story short, their average daily productivity went up quite a bit afterwards and eventually in the four days they had about 90%-95% of the previous five day output. They were both happier, more energetic and I felt it had been a win-win on all sides.
    2003 BMW 325i Sport Touring (E46)
    2018 Volvo V40 D2 R-Design
    2005 Adria Coral 630DH

On the whole, I think it is a god idea.
    Just a few generations ago, people used to work 6 days a week, so it is only natural for us to progress to 4 days, now as we have reached a higher level of plenty.

We do work in order to enjoy the fruits of our labour, no?

The dangers are of course, if we start a four day work week and other parts of the work do not, then we are suddenly 20% less efficient than others. Add to that the salary disparity between Europe and other parts of the world, and I can see jobs escaping.
    on the other hand, as people will have 3 days off, there will be a higher demand for the service industry so we may be in a situation wherein there will be more low paid jobs and fewer high paid jobs. Which is really not where we want to go, as apart from obviously people losing jobs will create an even higher inequality etc. etc.

I cannot foresee it being possible for an employer to hire extra people cover the extra day (in some form of work 5 day this week, 3 the next week or whatever) outside of costs of the extra employee, it is a organisational nightmare.

However, if we feel that we can keep our jobs and work just 4 days with no danger of outsourcing, sure lets go for it.
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Been doing a 48 hour 4 day week for the last 17 years I would hate to go back to 5 days but I’ve a feeling a 5 day 50hour (if I’m lucky) week is coming down the line.

From some one that does 55hrs over 6 days I would welcome a 4 day week. Even if I had to do the same hours.

Quote Originally Posted by hi-rev View Post
    On the whole, I think it is a god idea.
    Just a few generations ago, people used to work 6 days a week, so it is only natural for us to progress to 4 days, now as we have reached a higher level of plenty.

We do work in order to enjoy the fruits of our labour, no?

The dangers are of course, if we start a four day work week and other parts of the work do not, then we are suddenly 20% less efficient than others. Add to that the salary disparity between Europe and other parts of the world, and I can see jobs escaping.
    on the other hand, as people will have 3 days off, there will be a higher demand for the service industry so we may be in a situation wherein there will be more low paid jobs and fewer high paid jobs. Which is really not where we want to go, as apart from obviously people losing jobs will create an even higher inequality etc. etc.

I cannot foresee it being possible for an employer to hire extra people cover the extra day (in some form of work 5 day this week, 3 the next week or whatever) outside of costs of the extra employee, it is a organisational nightmare.

However, if we feel that we can keep our jobs and work just 4 days with no danger of outsourcing, sure lets go for it.
    I'm sure most of the noise made around it is coming from the sector where there is no fear of any outsourcing or other efficiency drives or much anything.
    I'm with the resistance

Well because of tax, PRSI, pension levy and other things, I could move to a four day week for a cost of €130 per week. I would also save €100 on childcare...

Why the feck am I not doing it?
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

I don't have time over a weekend to do a fraction of what I would like to get done. So there is absolutely no moping around for me at the weekends. I would love a 3 day weekend even if it meant reduced pay. My sister last year moved to a 4 day week for 4 days pay. If you can still pay the bills then the extra time she has for herself, the kids, the dogs, the house- she has never looked back. It even gave her time to start up a dog rescue charity, doing what she loves. Once your bills are covered, then get as much head space as possible. I used to work between 70 and 90 hours a week. I wouldn't think twice about 24 hours straight. I worked multiple 30+ hours straight. After two years of that I got really sick. That was the wake up call that I needed. What the fu<k was I thinking? After that a job was purely to pay bills, free time is real time and that is worth more than money. So once I can pay the bills with a little extra to play with, then I am happy. So a 4 day week would be a dream!
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

We brought in the option for 4 day weeks either using Parental leave or just by choice once it made sense for the business. It has the potential to be a disaster for people in Management positions especially if the cross cover is not what is should be. On the flip side we have noticed some people get their previous 5 day work into a standard hours 4 day week, obviously that raises its own questions about what they were doing for the original 5 day week in the first place...