Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mpg help please?

What year was your e class? Was it anyway fun to drive being rwd?

Quote Originally Posted by david_connoll View Post
    What year was your e class? Was it anyway fun to drive being rwd?
    I still have it, a 08. 4 years and counting.
    190km on the clock. Wife mainly drives it, I get to slum around in the Prius

I like the way it looks and drives,

I've had a few items replaced in the last while which has tightened the front end up.
    As far as being a car that encourages opposite lock exiting roundabouts is I'd say its not really there. It is sport spec so factory lowered and has 265 tyres on the rear, feels very planted on the road. Unless you switch off the esp which I don't do.

If you are thinking of buying I have to recommend you get one with low mileage or has had the timing chain and cogs replaced. I did mine about 20k ago and it cost a fair wedge.
    Last edited by John; 01-10-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I still have it, a 08. 4 years and counting.
    190km on the clock. Wife mainly drives it, I get to slum around in the Prius

I like the way it looks and drives,

I've had a few items replaced in the last while which has tightened the front end up.
    As far as being a car that encourages opposite lock exiting roundabouts is I'd say its not really there. It is sport spec so factory lowered and has 265 tyres on the rear, feels very planted on the road. Unless you switch off the esp which I don't do.

If you are thinking of buying I have to recommend you get one with low mileage or has had the timing chain and cogs replaced. I did Mike about 20k ago and it cost a fair wedge.
    I'm assuming yours is a diesel, why do they need the chains done? 120k ish miles seems really premature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Merc 3.5 petrol M272 (and some 5.0s) suffer from premature wear on balance shaft sprockets potentially destroying engines - effects a considerable % of engines. Big €€ engine out job. Material used in the sprocket not up to the job, not resolved until 2010/11. In some ways similar to the BMW N47 issue.

I get about 25mpg on a cls 350 and 28mpg on a x5 40d. I'm impressed with the x5 mpg as it's heavy yoke and in mixed traffic

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DavidK View Post
    I'm assuming yours is a diesel, why do they need the chains done? 120k ish miles seems really premature.

Does it not say kompressor on the back if so its petrol

Petrols had the same (or similar issue) even the smaller capacity ones. A buddy of mine had to get a 06 e class coupe (or whatever they are called) done in the last few months. His is probably a 2 litre I think and cost him the bones of a grand.

I've CLK280 Convertible (2996cc) with 183.000km, doing around 24mpg mix town and motorways. Had no problem with engine at all in it and hope it'll stay like that but 7speed automatic gearbox was giving a lot of problem. First of all it was going to safe mode and stuck to one gear, using paddles to change gears on putting it into manual didnt work, still on one gear. Fixed after restarting engine but onee day it stuck on one gear for good. Drivers in computer gone. New "empty" computer around €800, to program it anoother €500 plus gearbox oil and job... When car was in teh garage I got phone call to come to garage to see something, one screw in the gearbox broke inside, thankfully it didn't do any damage but I couldn't understand how steal screw can just break until I was handed it. I broke it between two fiingers. So all gearbix had to go out of car to fix that one screw. Two screw changed for aluminium ones, gearbox fixed and working perfect for now.

The only engine problem i have is check engine light coming on every few weeks for a day or two and car sound like it has blocked exhaust plus it loosing power, other than that I have no problems with that car.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidK View Post

It's a petrol

The chains are ever so fine so need to be monitored.
    The mechanic plugged in the car to check the cam sensors before doing an oil change, he was fit to show me on diagnostic kit that the exhaust timing was out enough to conclude that the chain had jumped a tooth.

If I could stretch to a CLS I'd have one but the cost of ownership is beyond me.
    Last edited by John; 01-10-2019 at 11:05 PM.

Hybrid lads hybrid,,,,60 + mpg on my honda insight, automatic