Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NCT Fail

Yeah we all know about vw's "software glitches" an shur the NCT is a bleeding scam anyway
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

It's nothing to do with RPM or software glitches it's down to the tester not having a clue what a valved exhaust is and how one works. Had the exact same problem in Naas last week. In the process of getting a refund for the retest.

Standardised test... one of ye needs to log a complaint with head office for them to work out a specific method of testing between nct and vw otherwise they will just keep failing them . You know what i'll make a point of it this week. Tbf 99 percent of cars don't have this feature so it's no harm to let them know... out of curiosity under what conditions are all the valves open? Full load only I presume? Or are they RPM activated.
    Last edited by fast focus; 08-12-2019 at 05:01 PM.

All open in race mode when idling but close depending on load when driving to reduce drone. I just coded mine open rather than take the chance that the tester might put it back into normal mode while driving car in. I’ve logged a complaint with applus and got an e mail back to say ah investigation will be carried out so we will see.

Thank you tossy. I know to you it's only a case of checking which one is live but from doing some reading on the forums preface 7.5 and facelift have different valves open at idle and some change from one to the other at a specific rpm on top of that the estate is exempt as they are open all the time. They really need to speak to VW on it and work on solving it because although an R is not a common car it's clearly causing much headaches for the few that do have them.

Interesting to see that other cars with valved exhaust's don't have the same issue. I would imagine that when the ecu detects it's being tested it should switch them to open.

Interestingly while I was in for the retest there was a Porsche Cayenne in for a test I presume these would have a valve set up also and i witnessed the tester testing the exhaust tips with his hand to see which one was live. The tester retesting my car also did this so clearly most of them have a clue but you can’t be relying on pot luck if you’re bringing a car in for a test.

Quote Originally Posted by fast focus View Post
    Thank you tossy. I know to you it's only a case of checking which one is live but from doing some reading on the forums preface 7.5 and facelift have different valves open at idle and some change from one to the other at a specific rpm on top of that the estate is exempt as they are open all the time. They really need to speak to VW on it and work on solving it because although an R is not a common car it's clearly causing much headaches for the few that do have them.

Interesting to see that other cars with valved exhaust's don't have the same issue. I would imagine that when the ecu detects it's being tested it should switch them to open.
    My new car has a valved exhaust, be interesting when the time comes

@ jasper: most new cars do especially the vag stuff even the diesels funny enough... none of them seem to have an issue at least none I have come across. It will be good to see the outcome of this as to what makes the R different.

Seems like these exhaust's are now not allowed under EU regulations now if the noise level is higher when the are open as they are tested on full open mode. So maybe a thing that won't exist soon.

So it seems like, at least in Europe, loud sports cars are more and more becoming things of the past, and Motoring notes that using a valve with a quiet and loud setting isn’t a valid workaround, since the vehicles will apparently be tested in their loudest modes.

https://jalopnik.com/european-noise-...ker-1836817816

What did you buy anyway jasper something interesting?
    Last edited by fast focus; 08-12-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Not just an Irish problem either if you google GOLF R emissions failure there are pages of lambda failings. I'd be very interested to see what the official line from VW comes back as.

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/3...mits/#comments