Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vodafone has launched 5G (and I want it)

You're probably right re the iPhone but that basically means there's little reason to buy one this year. 5G is about the only compelling new functionality if you have an iPhone 7 or newer. Probably in all reality it won't be until 2020 that 5G is even a thing that matters so Apple might be right to take it easy on it.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    I love new technology, but I think I'll pass on the remote surgery over 5G for now thanks ... "Just going into a tunnel .... snip"
    Surgeons won't be doing surger in cars obviously, but remote and robotic surgery is already a thing, and for certain types of surgery the outcomes are actually better due to the increased precision and minimal invasiveness it offers. I think the idea isn't so much that the surgeon is the one using 5G, but rather that surgery could be done in rural clinics.

wont someone think of the children?

No roll out for Clare anyways. Councillors swallowed all the health implication thats out there about 5g. Tinfoil hats for all.

Eir has launched 5G (and I still want it)
    I'm with the resistance

Why do you want it so soon DMZ?
    I doubt you'd get 5G reception in any of the launch areas without standing by the transmitter, and there's still no technology cases or uses for it.
    In other words; you can have it, but what would you do with it?

If it's anything like this then I think I'll wait another few years.

Quote Originally Posted by deltona View Post
    Why do you want it so soon DMZ?
    I doubt you'd get 5G reception in any of the launch areas without standing by the transmitter, and there's still no technology cases or uses for it.
    In other words; you can have it, but what would you do with it?
    Oh come on, who doesn't need/want more speed?

I've seen drive test results of 5G and eir's coverage looks quite impressive particularly in Dublin and they plan to bring out even more.
    I'm with the resistance

So you don't actually know yourself what you'd do with it on a mobile device then?

I can see this being used by avid gamers playing live against others on their mobile devices. Being of use for emergency vehicles i.e. ambulances and first responders. For autonomous drones making deliveries en-masse and avoiding one another as they swarm around. And for autonomous public transport and other self-driving vehicles.

But right now, in 2019/2020 I can't think of how it will meaningfully impact the use of a mobile device by any regular member of the public.

Tech companies have now spent a few years trying to come up with uses for 5G by your average Joe on the street, and they've not identified anything significant as of yet.
    Society will grow into it, but in 2019/20 there's still no use or quantifiable benefit to it for your average user.

I must be getting old, its less connectivity i want in my life not more.
    Slow down FFS, id give anything to listen to the internet trying to connect for 2 mintues to my Compaq PC, think it had a pentium 3 processor what ever that meant but thing have gotten out of control with with 70 pages and 40 emails all needing to be downloaded at the speed of light.
    Theres only so much content you can process at once any way.
    How old do i sound jeeezzzz us.