Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Didn't buy the Buick - Back in a W124 :D

Quote Originally Posted by cian View Post
    Oh hell yes, love the W124. And the 300d is perfect in them, if only to annoy the backroaders that think you need a V8
    This would be like an American moving to Japan, suddenly no longer being restricted by 25 year import rules and buying a Chevy Malibu.

Quote Originally Posted by admredux View Post
    Awesome man, very hard to find something here under 3k that's not a total heap or has registration issues, happy to hear you could find something for so little!

I'll get on to pelican parts, there are a few little interior bits needing a going over, I think a lot will be ré-gluing trim that the sun has detached over the years. Luckily I think I've found a parts car not too far away for all those difficult to find bits and bobs.
    I remember from my time on a J1, there was talks of us pooling or money together and getting a car. But when we saw what $1500 got you (car with a blown engine or gearbox, and lots of rust from salted roads and sea air). We forgot about that Idea.

I'm coming from korea for ten years where the w124 is a minimum 10-20k car all day long so it kinda changes my perspective a lil bit. The diesel here has a cult following and associated scene tax so resale if I have to won't be a big issue. Took her out on the highway today, let's just say I ordered a bushing kit!
    2005 toyota sequoia pedril, 1993 300d, I need a project

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Limerick View Post
    I remember from my time on a J1, there was talks of us pooling or money together and getting a car. But when we saw what $1500 got you (car with a blown engine or gearbox, and lots of rust from salted roads and sea air). We forgot about that Idea.
    That reminds me of the 1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 I bought for $600 on my J1. It was a complete heap that wasn’t roadworthy at all and had been in a smack and still had a crumpled wing.

I had 21 days after buying it to get it tested, then one month to rectify the faults and get it retested, when it promptly failed again (probably because I did nothing). I got another 30 days to fix it or get it off the road. All in all I got the guts of the summer out of it.

Towards the end of the trip the exhaust fell off so I drove it to the cinema one evening and walked home afterwards.

Today I put around a hundred miles on it, registration and burger run with the kids, it did well today despite the 100degree (37celcius) temp, aircon wasn't as cold as yesterday but the heat and four people in the car didn't help!

It's scrubbing them arches on moderate cornering, forgot what a lowered car is like!

Still have to decide whether I can campaign it as a daily and buy something totally inappropriate later when jobs are on or to get to copart and find something more daily-able, possibly with a v8. Y'all saw the 4.7litre tank I got a few weeks ago right? Haven't got the shares in opec yet
    Last edited by admredux; 16-07-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    That reminds me of the 1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 I bought for $600 on my J1. It was a complete heap that wasn’t roadworthy at all and had been in a smack and still had a crumpled wing.

I had 21 days after buying it to get it tested, then one month to rectify the faults and get it retested, when it promptly failed again (probably because I did nothing). I got another 30 days to fix it or get it off the road. All in all I got the guts of the summer out of it.

Towards the end of the trip the exhaust fell off so I drove it to the cinema one evening and walked home afterwards.
    Ya the only car ...I saw for around that kind if money was a Buick that you could see the bend on the chassis haha

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by admredux View Post

It's scrubbing them arches on moderate cornering, forgot what a lowered car is like!
    It's a quick and easy job to spacer out the front wing to reduce the rubbing.
    Deadly Dave

I missed this - where are you located ADM?

Been a long journey since I last met you in a Starsky-and-Hutched Golf.
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    I missed this - where are you located ADM?

Been a long journey since I last met you in a Starsky-and-Hutched Golf.

Korea teaching uni for ten years, met herself, had two kids, moved to my wife's native Dallas three weeks ago
    It's been a while dude

Here's what a 300e fetches in Dallas these days, running, driving, tagged and inspected!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly Dave View Post
    It's a quick and easy job to spacer out the front wing to reduce the rubbing.
    The front end has had the arches rolled and clearanced, the bonnet gaps are pretty wide already from spacering, the issue I've to investigate first is the wheels balancing, there's a heavy vibration at around 50on up, there's a slight buckle in one of the rear rims I think.

It's great on the back roads and service roads but highway it needs those wheels balanced or suspension work!

Maybe it's the steering damper, I haven't a clue tbh.
    Last edited by admredux; 17-07-2019 at 09:46 PM.