Thread: 3D Printers

3D Printers

Hi Folks,
    Im looking at getting a 3D printer for small fixture development etc. probably end up making a Trooper model first.

So, my question to us all is do you have one? Whats good about it and whats not so good? Those types of questions.

Im the model Im looking at is the Original Prusa i3 MK3S kit.

Looks to have good functionality and is upgradeable as you go.

Let me know your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by richeyc2000 View Post
    Hi Folks,
    Im looking at getting a 3D printer for small fixture development etc. probably end up making a Trooper model first.

So, my question to us all is do you have one? Whats good about it and whats not so good? Those types of questions.

Im the model Im looking at is the Original Prusa i3 MK3S kit.

Looks to have good functionality and is upgradeable as you go.

Let me know your thoughts.
    I have been messing with a Creality Ender 3 since Christmas with some good results on PLA (toys haha)
    Its on the lower end of the market but people get some amazing results out of it when set up correct.
    The main thing though is the community around it- loads of very active facebook pages and youtube support for it.
    A step up from that with the same kind of community is the Creality CR10.

But I imagine the Prusa has just as much support, if not more.

Advice wise, build an enclosure (especially if printing the likes of ABS) and set it up somewhere safe- not sure about the Prusa but there have been some Ender 3 fires. Prints can go on for days so you want to be confident that if the worse does happen, your only going to lose the machine.

What exactly are you looking to print?
    Capture.JPG

I have been looking at 3D printer world for a long tie, wanting to get one, just have not gotten my finger out yet.
    The one I am looking at getting is the Anycubic Photon. A resin printer that seems to be just about affordable but creates really nice prints.

As Mic said, it's worth knowing what you want to print before committing to a printer.
    Last edited by hi-rev; 10-07-2019 at 03:02 PM.
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

I've had the makerbot 2x for a few years now in the office. It was a couple of grand at the time but has paid for itself many times over as we have used it to create samples of new design pieces and even run off low volume production of small parts before tooling up for injection mouldings. They are great when working right but can be very fiddly, the heated nozzles and gear drives clog up and need regular stripping and cleaning. Ours is an older model now and uses replaceable film on the platin, this is a real pain to replace without having air bubbles/uneven surface. The newer models have non stick platins now.
    You need to know what you want to print, the accuracy you want and the surface finish you need.

Its for fixture development for work and then home.
    We have an older makerbot and a bigger 3D printer in work also but its pretty busy the whole time and I wanted to get into it myself at home anyway.

I just wanted to see what people had to say about real life experiences with ones here. Nothing like some actual lads giving their two cents for models.

Requirements:
    Updatable / open source / good community network and Obviously highest resolution for the smallest cost.

Im building (almost finished) a tilting belt grinder at home and it would have come in right handy a few times with alignment jigs on it.
    After that is finished Im working on a 3 axis CNC router. A small 3D printer would be ideal here for the build of some elements.

And of course to make cool prints of stuff