Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate change and all that.

I don’t know about total ban by 2045 but lots of countries have said sales of petrol and diesel cars will be banned in 2030. But this doesn’t concern me a whole lot. I doubt I will even care then, the world will be a different place.
    I'm with the resistance

Loads of countries are proposing a ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by certain dates, but I don't know of any that are proposing anything like the 2045 ban which, from my understanding, will essentially force owners of petrol and diesel cars already on the road to retire them seeing as they will no longer be granting NCTs.
    There's no light, There's only fire!

@ Kaiser -- A lot can change in 26 years. Ireland of 1994 is different to Ireland of 2019.
    2045 to 2019 will be different again.
    Aren't there moves to change the NCT so as the exemption date eventually moves to a rolling 30-year set-up, similar to the threshold for classic motor tax ?
    2045 minus 30 years gives you 2015 for vehicles to become NCT exempt (if it ever comes in).
    In the overall scheme of things, very few people run vehicles over 30 years old as a daily, and less young people today are interested in cars as a hobby as were in the past. Things change, and society/culture change.

Overall though, DMZ is probably on the money. These changes and proposals are hot air for now, and will change drastically between now and 2045.
    Who knows, Dublin might even catch up with other international cities and even have safe, affordable, convenient, & efficient public transport systems in place by 2045, negating the use for cars by many in the city. It's important to dream too!

Maybe I missed it but I don’t think there was any mention of public transport in the plan. You can’t tax public transport so less of a priority obviously. Maybe BusConnects will be operational by 2045, you never know. It’s a bit ambitious in fairness.
    I'm with the resistance

2045... hmmm. Gets ya thinking about whether or not you'll be around to see any of it. Based on my Dad and his Dad I'm due for a mid to late 60's check-out. Which would be 2040's. So the question is, will my hearse be fully electric, solar or pedal powered???

..can't help thinking this is all a bit of a moral panic considering the size of the country.

Have a look here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...xide_emissions

Ireland is responsible for around 0.1% of global CO2 emissions. China is responsible for around a quarter, and the USA about half of that again.

We're responsible for around 1.1% of EU emissions.

Our emissions would be about 5% of global shipping emissions.

Ireland vs magical Norway

Ireland: 38.914 (Mt CO2/yr), up 118.5% since 1990 - (GDP~ €294,110 million)

Norway: 46.943 (Mt CO2/yr), up 128.7% since 1990 - (GDP~ €368,389 million)

There's a lot of sense in moving away from fossil fuels over time, but there's also a danger of punishing ordinary people needlessly and cornering ourselves into other problems in the future.

The problem Mick is that "what about..." seems to be the predominant argument. If you've a drink problem, it's cold comfort to compare yourself to the drunk on the street and think you're doing ok. And everyone's at it. The bog cutters blaming the airlines, the farmers blaming the cities, the cities blaming the cows, everyone pointing fingers at the Americans or the Chinese - "Ah sure, how could it be my fault, look at these other guys!?"

We just can't do that anymore, we each have to put the bell around our own cat's neck. Personally I'd love to see us become early adopters, beacons of light, shining examples. Yes these changes cost money, but if someone's spending money, then logically someone is making money. All the cash goes somewhere. We could be on the other side of the hill before everyone else and free-wheeling with the fall of ground.

Don't see it happening though tbh

I think I'm with DMZ on this one. In a few years time we will laugh at this plan and how much it smacked of tail wagging dog. We can make all the proclamations we want about how its going to be, but we are not innovators in this space and will have to take whatever route is internationally accepted.
    There's quite a possibility that in 10 years time we will look back on this moment as a flat earth one; "haha,can you imagine that once we thought the future was driving around 400 kg of Duracell battteries......".

incidentally, I was reading a really interesting report a month or two back about the battery industry and its heavy dependence on cobalt and how over 60% of the worlds supply of cobalt is mined by child labourers in deathtrap conditions in the Congo, and morally/ethically cleaned through a series of opaque chinese middlemen in order that western companies can claim their stuff is ethically sourced.

I know i've asked this for several years and always get the same answer, but does anyone know if enough raw materials actually exist in order for the worlds motor fleet to transition to battery powered cars?

My suspicion is that we are being fed what long term industry product cycles dictate we should be fed; and when they are ready to transition to fuel cells or hydrogen or whatever, we will hear that actually while EV's seem green to run, they are actually quite sh1t in terms of the overall life cycle including production/destruction.

in fact thats a bit like the car I just bought, a 991.1 Turbo S. It was amazing when released but when the 991.2 came out it turns out it was sh1t all along. I wonder should I sell it straight away now that it might be banned in 26 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    The problem Mick is that "what about..." seems to be the predominant argument.
    ..well my point was more along the lines that even if we halved our emissions overnight it would make very little difference in the big scheme of things, but we'd be stuck with a massive bill and a load of transitional technology that will date very quickly.. I'd love an electric car, but I don't want a Leaf..

Electric cars of some sort are the future no doubt, but there's a lot of loose ends to sort out first. At the moment I'm like a brand ambassador for Toyota hybrids.. I've brought several people out in the old GS to sample the hybrid experience, and mostly they've wanted a plug-in car but are afraid to run a cable out across a public footpath outside their home.

Anyway, I always tell 'em to buy a Giulia..
    Last edited by mick; 18-06-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    ..well my point was more along the lines that even if we halved our emissions overnight it would make very little difference in the big scheme of things, but we'd be stuck with a massive bill and a load of transitional technology that will date very quickly.. I'd love an electric car, but I don't want a Leaf..

Electric cars of some sort are the future no doubt, but there's a lot of loose ends to sort out first. At the moment I'm like a brand ambassador for Toyota hybrids.. I've brought several people out in the old GS to sample the hybrid experience, and mostly they've wanted a plug-in car but are afraid to run a cable out across a public footpath outside their home.

Anyway, I always tell 'em to buy a Giulia..
    It's the grand-scheme-of-things that pulls asunder any argument. In the grand scheme of things our sun will implode in a number of hundred million years time so what's the point of anything. Halving our emissions would be a great thing. If only to avoid the EU fines.

I'm just sick of the but but but what about. It's on the radio and tv every single day, right down to my own class of 9 year olds in front of me everytime we broach the subject. Pointing fingers at each other, at other classes, etc. It's not me, it's everyone else.