Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate change and all that.

Climate change and all that.

Looks like the future for us motoring heads in going to be a lot bleaker in the years ahead - especially people like me that like to go around in early 70's petrol V8's and straight 6's.

Looks like all old or even fairly new petrol and I assume diesel cars could be banned from urban areas. Of course this would just be the first step to ensuring all our classics are kept in museums or would have to be trailered to classic car shows etc.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/envi...ures-1.3928072

What gets to me is that while we are told to be good little boys and girls over in the USA they are still getting away with selling and driving brand new yokes like these - 13 mpg around town.

We should Irexit then
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

It was not exactly rosy to begin with so how much worse can it get? I presume lots of new taxes (the mooted restructure of VRT and motor tax) that will somehow hit the few and achieve nothing but will look like doing something and then very little else.

It's a bit odd to stick banning diesels from urban areas in under a climate action headline but perhaps shows the general level of cluelessness around the place.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    It was not exactly rosy to begin with so how much worse can it get? I presume lots of new taxes (the mooted restructure of VRT and motor tax) that will somehow hit the few and achieve nothing but will look like doing something and then very little else.

It's a bit odd to stick banning diesels from urban areas in under a climate action headline but perhaps shows the general level of cluelessness around the place.
    Going by this article today, it seems they intend on stopping NCTing them so a bit more serious than taxes if they all of a sudden aren't road legal. It's all ridiculous...

https://www.independent.ie/news/envi...-38224591.html

"Ultimately, legislation will be introduced to ban the sale of new fossil fuel cars from 2030 and to stop granting NCTs from 2045. A series of incentives are in the pipeline for people willing to transfer to EVs, including a car-scrappage scheme. It is hoped to have a charging network capable of catering for 800,000 EVs in place by 2030."

I'm not overly concerned about 2045 right now, more about whatever taxation crap is coming in 2020/2021 that will make my life miserable. 2045 is so far off that anything could happen and I think that's just a year they've put in to make it look like they have a plan.
    I'm with the resistance

Banning ICE cars from town centers has nothing to do with climate change, and would effectively prevent a lot of people even owning anything other than an electric, but without sufficient places to charge overnight.

To me it seems pretty crazy to go and offer a scrappage scheme to get older cars off the road and then go and buy a new electric car.

Do they take into account the amount of raw materials and energy that went into building the proposed car to be scrapped compared to the mining that needs to happen to produce all of these new batteries...

Being Ireland some or a lot of these new laws usually get watered down but regarding motoring going into the future I fear they will mostly happen.
    It's all to easy for them to really turn up the tax screw on ICE cars as they already get such a massive tax from the whole motoring system.

The last paragraph in that article about tackling agricultural emissions is just brilliant Revised educational material for 2nd and 3rd level - really?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alfaguy View Post
    What gets to me is that while we are told to be good little boys and girls over in the USA they are still getting away with selling and driving brand new yokes like these - 13 mpg around town.
    Take a look at some others - like Cruise ships:

https://www.euronews.com/2019/06/10/...nalysis-claims
    Cruise liners run by the Carnival Corporation emitted nearly 10 times more sulphur oxide (SOX) air pollution around European coasts than all of the continent's 260 million cars in 2017, a new analysis has claimed.
    1 Cruise liner company vs all of Europe cars.

I presume thats what they burn in ports.... once liners or almost any large ships for that matter get outside ports they switch from marine diesel (equiv. to low sulpher green) to heavy fuel oil. I haven't looked into the figures but I imagine heavy fuel oil is much worse again.