Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nct fail - Bas***ds

Rules are rules
    Surely you’d be more worried about having a rear tyre that’s more than 6 years old on the car

^

Can fully understand the frustration on the tints being pulled now and not before - but maybe that's down to the powers that be tightening up on stuff that the guys on the ground could turn a blind eye to before.

I used to get thick about various machines being pulled/failed for stuff going through the test. Maybe its a sign of getting old, but now I just look on it as an independent, and fairly thorough annual/biannual safety check - for less than €50.

Fifty quid for somebody to tell you what you really need to attend to for your safety as opposed to what a bunch of teeth-sucking lads in overalls standing below a ramp touting for business in a dealers/backstreet garage aint a bad deal - imho.
    Last edited by -alan-; 14-06-2019 at 05:17 PM.

You just got a studious tester he is in the right i'd be glad I was able to keep it for 4 years.

Just as an information point of view all car glass is already tinted from factory from checks it appears that most factory glass allows about 70 pc light through which is a fraction above the 65pc tolerance. Lighting in the area at the time also has no influence as was previously stated the light is shone through the glass with the pickup directly the other side. Machine is also calibrated with a piece of calibration glass for each test.

So in essence any film unless completely clear over the glass will make it illegal at least in front and sides rear windows are allowed tint.

They have clamped down a lot on things like this. In fairness, I would never expect noticable front tints to pass

Quote Originally Posted by fast focus View Post
    You just got a studious tester he is in the right i'd be glad I was able to keep it for 4 years.

Just as an information point of view all car glass is already tinted from factory from checks it appears that most factory glass allows about 70 pc light through which is a fraction above the 65pc tolerance. Lighting in the area at the time also has no influence as was previously stated the light is shone through the glass with the pickup directly the other side. Machine is also calibrated with a piece of calibration glass for each test.

So in essence any film unless completely clear over the glass will make it illegal at least in front and sides rear windows are allowed tint.

Would this apply to factory tints?

i find this rule a joke. in hot countries window tinting is encouraged to keep out the sun and keep car cabins cooler yet in Ireland its seen as dangerous.

You have to remeber NCTS is only following EU guidelines on this. Factory tint on any cars here will allow more than 65 percent light through with the exception of the rears.

Look back in the day I had front tints myself but had to drop the front windows at night in fairness it is dangerous I can't say I don't agree with it on a personal level regardless of rules.

I think there was an eu directive about it biy laws still vary country to country , for example Spain , Italy dont allow any front side tint at all

It's illegal in spain too... if you think nct is bad you should try itv I honestly think there are few of the bigger countries as lax as us with rules with exception of the uk.

There are a heap of rules regarding obstruction of vision as regards NCT that people are probably not even aware of such as sunvisors that won't stay in the up positon or even a sat nav in the field of view or those huge furry dice that hang from the mirror if the tester feels they cause an obstruction. Knowing and remembering it all is tough especially when you might only come across some of the things once or never for that matter. I have yet to see a window without an E mark. Still have to check them all.

Quote Originally Posted by fast focus View Post
    You have to remeber NCTS is only following EU guidelines on this. Factory tint on any cars here will allow more than 65 percent light through with the exception of the rears.

Look back in the day I had front tints myself but had to drop the front windows at night in fairness it is dangerous I can't say I don't agree with it on a personal level regardless of rules.
    I had black limo tint all around! Man what a pain in the hoop it was to reverse at night. And dropping the windows at junctions. At the time I though that it was cool though!
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

@fast focus. Have you started measuring thickness of disks now?? My mums mini failed on disks and pads I deemed to be ok by me but it was failed visually. Passed on the rollers. No issue replacing them they had 100k miles on them anyway. Just wondering if this is a change??