Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Selling a car in Ireland in 2019

Its not that people want stuff for nothing, its that they have no F-ing money.
    They genuinely want to buy stuff but cant.
    Iv given up on DD, iv had good experiences with Adverts. The users are generally rated good or bad so it cuts out a lot of A holes.
    I recently bought a classic car and have sold a load of stuff, cars, motorbike, tools, building materials, all sorts of everything.
    Facebook market place is very handy, a lot of UK sellers but a lot of Irish aswell. That said iv only really been window shopping on it.

Given the huge increase in stuff like M-Sport kitted BMW’s on the roads these days I’d say people have plenty of money. They’re just not buying Irish cars. That and PCP deals drawing people to new cars.
    I'm with the resistance

True actually. I sold a 325i in London. Car was absolutely mint. Had it advertised on loads of sites like autotrader, ebay, gumtree etc. Paid over £140 in adverts for 2 months.

I got 1 call about from a Polish lad, he came and bought it after seeing it on a free advert on Gumtree.

Not one UK person was interested. I then started looking at all the other 325i that was for sale privately, none were selling. You can get into a new car there with no deposit, why would you go second hand.

The whole 10 year plus thing here as well has made it quite difficult for people to insure cars so wont help with selling.

The important thing to do when pricing a car on donedeal is looking at how long they are for sale , Everybody's making the fundamental mistake of thinking that because a certain make model and year is ASKING 10 grand on donedeal that's it's actually worth that , which is often not the case , particularly if it's for sale for over a week, if you want to sell a car on donedeal price it 500 euro below Bill Griffins price and it will sell within the week.

Just sold my Leon Cupra, just over a week after putting it up.
    Ads on donedeal, adverts and tried carzone for old times sake.

Adverts - 1 call, guy saw the car and bought it
    Donedeal - 3 texts/messages about swaps and low ball offers "13k cupra"
    Carzone - 1 random spam looking 'Carzone enquiry' email asking what tax was on it

Last time I had something up and got one of those low-ball offers I replied for the craic and said "yes, ok", and he never replied.

Quote Originally Posted by davemx-5 View Post
    Thats been an Irish problem for years!
    I genuinely wasn't aware of how widespread this issue was.

I mean, is it a case that Joe Public only brings their car to a garage when it needs something or is it that the majority of people with cars out of warranty use their local mechanic who just doesn't give them a receipt or stamp the book etc.

Maybe both I guess.

And the best part is that those bottom draggers set the price level. Seeing as cars are valued nearly exclusively on year and miles there’s not much incentive maintaining a car.
    I'm with the resistance

I have my wife’s car up on dd at the moment it’s priced well but all it has attracted mostly people asking is it still available I reply then nothing.
    One guy begged me to keep the car until he got to me after work Friday i stupidly agreed. I text him the day he was to arrive no reply and I had 2 other people interested in it but I keep my word so told them he had arranged to view more fool me then again they could’ve easily just been the same.
    Yesterday I get a text offering me 25% less than the asking but they’d need me to deliver it to Leitrim and they promise they are genuine and not wasting my time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigus View Post
    The important thing to do when pricing a car on donedeal is looking at how long they are for sale , Everybody's making the fundamental mistake of thinking that because a certain make model and year is ASKING 10 grand on donedeal that's it's actually worth that , which is often not the case , particularly if it's for sale for over a week, if you want to sell a car on donedeal price it 500 euro below Bill Griffins price and it will sell within the week.
    A lot of truth in that. If you watch donedeal regularly, the stuff that is well priced sells straight away. It's a pity DoneDeal don't have the facility (like ebay has with completed auctions) to look at sold ads and the asking prices they were up for. It would be good data to ague OMSP with revenue for VRT also.

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    Given the huge increase in stuff like M-Sport kitted BMW’s on the roads these days I’d say people have plenty of money. They’re just not buying Irish cars. That and PCP deals drawing people to new cars.
    Ah yes PCP, like i said, people have no money.