Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Selling a car in Ireland in 2019

It’s a 435d Gran Coupe with a very high spec and a couple of subtle enhancements.

Why not just give it a shot? You sell it you sell it, you don't you don't. You're obviously competing with everyone who is doing UK importing as well, you're not really adding anything of value to the transaction other than the car being here already. Given that most people think the UK is much better in every way it's perhaps not even a benefit that the car is here... But give it a go obviously. It's a car of the times so you will find a buyer.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    Why not just give it a shot? You sell it you sell it, you don't you don't. You're obviously competing with everyone who is doing UK importing as well, you're not really adding anything of value to the transaction other than the car being here already. Given that most people think the UK is much better in every way it's perhaps not even a benefit that the car is here... But give it a go obviously. It's a car of the times so you will find a buyer.
    I’ll probably do just that, no harm in trying I suppose.

I wouldnít underestimate the pita the travel & vrt is for the average joe but I guess thereís mitigation in so many dealers sourcing it just bringing in by the truck load.

Itís the kind of car that may have more of a market here and on bmwpolishers.ie than dd so for less heartache try that route first but be prepared for a few digs at the asking😉!

Especially with the nox craic now. I would say it's a huge benefit to the average Joe that the car is already here. Its scaring a lot of people away from uk I would think at least in the short term.

Personally, for a Ä30k family car that must be reliable and available above all else, Iíd need to be seeing more than Ä1,500 discount on dealer prices, especially if itís out of manufacturers warranty. Iím not saying you need to be factoring in an engine blowing up, but you do need to allow for general things that go wrong; even those niggly things that you notice after a few days of driving that you didnít on the test drive. With the dealer you have recourse for a few months.

However, one of the most valuable things nowadays you can get from a dealer is an extended one or two year comprehensive warranty from the likes of Mapfre, starting at a few hundred quid. Great piece of mind and something that I donít believe is open to you getting as a private individual here in Ireland? Happy to be corrected on that last point, as my knowledge/experience is two years out of date on that.

It all comes down to an individualís appetite for risk in the end. Personally Iíd need to be seeing a private car advertised at a minimum of 10% discount and probably nearer 15% to peak my interest and balance the risk at the 30k price point.

Quote Originally Posted by davemx-5 View Post
    Especially with the nox craic now. I would say it's a huge benefit to the average Joe that the car is already here. Its scaring a lot of people away from uk I would think at least in the short term.
    Sorry Dave, I want to hijack your good point a little. Iíd be interested to hear other peopleís opinions on this but I donít believe the average Joe ever was importing from the UK in any great numbers, Nox or no Nox. SIMI were crying about depressed new car sales this year and and in the same statement saying 100,000 cars were imported, with the implication being itís all the UK importsí fault.

However, there is no way 100,000 Irish people imported a car last year. Importing cars puts off people on this site, never mind the average tyre kicker. The vast majority of those cars were imported by dealers here and sold same as any ďIrishĒ car. Itís hard not to notice the lorry loads of yellow plates traveling all over the country. I donít understand why the press canít pull them up on these types of statements. If dealers are being shafted by imports, then itís dealers that are shafting dealers surely?

Quote Originally Posted by foyler View Post
    I wouldn’t underestimate the pita the travel & vrt is for the average joe but I guess there’s mitigation in so many dealers sourcing it just bringing in by the truck load.

It’s the kind of car that may have more of a market here and on bmwpolishers.ie than dd so for less heartache try that route first but be prepared for a few digs at the asking��!
    Bmwpolishers.ie

Not mine ( alanísI think ) but has a certain ring to it😁.

My point re a private buyer is that it’s a different kind of buyer who is willing to take some risks and put in some effort in return for a lower price and a buyer like that will also consider the UK. You’re not talking the usual have a trade in, want finance, want warranty type of buyer.

But regardless, just advertise it and rock on. I think I would possibly also consider SOR. A lot of or in fact all of the used premium car sellers would want a 435d gran coupe on their lots. No point in selling it to them as they will offer scraps but I know some of them do SOR. It’s a case of finding someone you trust. A third option is to trade it in the UK and do a VRT refund.
    I'm with the resistance