Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling a car in Ireland in 2019

Selling a car in Ireland in 2019

Recently I was tasked with selling mrsitsfitzy's car. It sold but I've noticed a few things have changed in the irish car market. Not for the better might I add.

Donedeal hits. It's usually a quick yardstick to figure out if a car is well priced, desireable or has a decent market. I regularly saw 2/3 hits per minute in the first couple of hours, dropping off after that. Not uncommon to have 1000 views. Lately though, 1 or 200 is about all that adds are getting after a few weeks. 3 or 400 if its very popular. Are people looking elsewhere for ad's? Has the traffic on dondeal's site dropped drastically? Was it the increase in fees to list a for sale add?

The % of responses to the add that enquire about the car and then nothing has quadrupled.
    eg: using dd messenger: hi, is the car still available? Yes, still available. then no further responses. It's almost like a donedeal bot is asking. Why bother even ask?

Scamming - Had the car up online for a month. During that time 2 cloned ad's appeared on various other car selling platforms, same pictures, lower price and email only contact details. I did have fun with the scammer tho, trying to buy our own car from them!

I'm no stranger to buying something for a few weeks and flicking it on (for a trackday or roadtrip, wedding or whatever) but my last experience of trying to sell a car privatley in Ireland has left me wanting a lot more from the experience - compared to what it was like say 6/12 months ago.

What are other peoples experiences of the current Irish private sale market? Is it just me?
    GP2 | E30M3 | Clio Cup Racer

Nope you are telling it how it is, I have a bike on donedeal at the moment and have had about 10 requests for the video of the bike starting up and showing how out of the wrapper minty it actually is as photos can be deceiving.

Not one and honestly not one responded after the video is sent, the video is way better than the pictures and obviously the price didn't scare you off when you request the video so why request it..?!!

Have had multiple im buying it and will be there in the morning with cash, enter the tumbleweed the next day.

Its priced correctly for that it is and just seems people want it for nothing at the end of it with stupid and I mean stupid low ball offers.

Luckily its a one of two bikes I have and I no hurry one bit to sell.

I just find society is getting worse with a lot more time wasters and people wanting everything for nothing.

Same story here. Have the Mrs car up for sale on Donedeal, it is a small cheap to run and tax car, etc. so I expected it to sell handy enough. Had a load of messages but no follow ups, even had one person complaining about the €190 a year cost to tax it . Less views than was expecting but still got 8 saves. Had one lad look at it for all of 1 minute and drive it 20 meters, and he said yes, but wanted to drop to his mechanic for inspection as was not mechanical. No problem I said and to let me know when he wanted to do that, but told him I am away at the upcoming weekend (Friday and returning on the Monday). He leaves me 2 missed calls (one after another) on the day I told him I am away, which was 4 days after he viewed it. I left him a genuine polite message back, reminding him I was away and when I would be back, and no word from him after that.

I have not tried any other platform to sell, but given am not stuck and am away next week I have not done much else with it. Thinking it maybe just the time of year with people saving for or going on holidays or the like.

Apart from just not having the time anymore, I've pretty much completely given up on selling anything these days for the same reasons as above. Donedeal and Adverts are gone to the dogs, they're trawled daily by the absolute dregs of society, who want everything for nothing and they're still not happy. Its worse for dealers too. I worked in one for the last year, and I won't even get into it, but imagine everything you've put up with selling one car, and times it by 10/20/30+ etc for each car on the forecourt.

Honestly though the very nub of the issue is that people want everything for nothing. They'll ring you up, ask a million questions, ask for more photos, a video - come out and view the car, drive it, have a mechanic look at it, he'll plug in some dodgy looking Chinese code scanner so he can look professional, he'll want to drive it, have another look at it again, the punter will want another look...and then they'll offer you 40% of the asking price. This has basically been the case for me for most of the stuff I've sold in the last year or so. It wears you down

I know it gets thrown around a lot, but society and people in general have just gone to the fcuking dogs. They really have.
    There's no light, There's only fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Troop View Post
    Nope you are telling it how it is, I have a bike on donedeal at the moment and have had about 10 requests for the video of the bike starting up and showing how out of the wrapper minty it actually is as photos can be deceiving.

Not one and honestly not one responded after the video is sent, the video is way better than the pictures and obviously the price didn't scare you off when you request the video so why request it..?!!

Have had multiple im buying it and will be there in the morning with cash, enter the tumbleweed the next day.
    Thats because they go in thinking, "I'll find something to knock him down on...shur he'll only have to sell it to me for a pittance, aren't I great" but in the end they just can't. Some of them would still offer you stupid money for it in the end though as you know yourself

I agree 100% with your sentiments
    There's no light, There's only fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Thats because they go in thinking, "I'll find something to knock him down on...shur he'll only have to sell it to me for a pittance, aren't I great" but in the end they just can't. Some of them would still offer you stupid money for it in the end though as you know yourself

I agree 100% with your sentiments
    Oh and on another note... I agreed on a price of tickets to a gig this weekend in Malahide... obviously cheaper then the face value but that's normal for people not able to make it... arranged to pick them up tomorrow and this was agreed on Monday... sent the text to ask what time and where will we meet to collect the tickets.

Response: oh I gave them to my friend sorry.

I mean wtf is wrong with people..??? is their word nothing these days..?? no message to say oh there gone nothing.

I worry for the future if people keep going like this.

Briefly had my S3 up, full history low milage with a "willing to swap / px only for a similar power hot hatch" (not for sale any more, gonna spend a bit on it and keep it)

In the 3 or so day it was advertised I had about 500 hits and was offered

- 2008 diesel audi A6 with moon milage.
    - 2 or 3 "is she still for sale"
    - and a message I didn't dignify with a response offering close to half the asking price.

In future I think I'll save my 15 euro and just advertise it on here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I sold my SEC recently on DD, and had a couple of lowball offers, but not many. A guy called from Drogheda after it had been up for about three days, we made an arrangement to meet up the following weekend, he arrived on time (with his wife and child), took the car for a good drive and check over, and half an hour later we had done a deal. He did a bank transfer there and then which he showed to me on his tablet, and he drove the car away. Job done....

Perhaps DD is not suitable for every type of car...? I don't know, as this was the first car I have sold through DD in ages, but this time it suited me well.

I had great success with DD in selling recently.

Low ball offers came from Backroads and not DD.....

For balance I think it should be said there are a lot of time wasting sellers on donedeal as well.
    I went to Cork last week to look at a few BMW's
    First guy didn't respond to text or phone calls when I got there. I wasn't too bothered becasue I had a few more cars to look at. When I eventually did get through to him he said he was out golfing all day and was then going to a match. Didn't even bother responding to me earlier in the day when I first tried contacting.
    Second guy said he'd call be back in an hour - no call back. Eventually a few hours later I got a delayed response to a text saying the car was sold.
    Third guy - got to his house, then he told me it was his friends car that he was selling, when asked if I could drive the car told me I could test drive when I bought it. Thanks very much but good luck with that.
    4 th guy was normal - met up with me as agreed, I drove the car, I didn't buy but no problem.