Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: US Presidential Election 2020

I think the main thing to focus on here is a lot of American voters are incredibly manipulated either to the left or the right. It's easy to get drawn in, I've done so myself.

There used to be a time where decency and common goals took precedence over differences and that's what kind of kept the whole thing going. Going too far to one side or the other and you'd be labelled s commie or a racist. Now even nodding towards one side or the other generates the same response.

Some say, "well things have never been this bad." I disagree in some ways, we're just more exposed to it because of mass media and social networking. It seems like people are only interacting with more and more extreme forms of information that agrees with their world-view and this is on both sides. The politicians are tapping into this vein to solidify their voting bases and leaving the slag in the form of riots, trumpers and pure division for society to clean up.

Unfortunately people don't like to think of themselves as easily manipulated but they really are fundamentally misunderstanding the motivations and methods behind all of it. The more divided the weaker the collective and that plays right into the hands of the less democratic players.
    2005 toyota sequoia, 1993 300d, 2009 prius, 1984 Volvo 242 turbo intercooler

Very succinctly put, it's hard to see how the two very opposite opinions will ever come back to
    some sort of middle ground that will benefit far more people rather than either extreme viewpoint.

Short video of what the Director of the CDC and Trump had to say about wearing masks and when
    a vaccine might be available.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-54183731

They are speaking the same language but are on completely different planets.

Trump "..he didn't realise he said what he might have said...if that's what he said it's a mistake"

I wonder who could be the one that was mistaken, the health expert or the one who has an election
    to win and might be prone to the odd lie and prone to a bit of hyperbole every time he opens his mouth...

I wonder will Trump get so desperate for a vaccine, even if its far from ready to be distributed,
    force the authorities to give it to people?

I don't believe drug companies and health authorities or the very smart people involved in getting a vaccine will allow that
    to happen but then again I wouldn't put anything past him.
    It's always about the Donald in his world.
    Last edited by Titan; 17-09-2020 at 02:27 AM.

I didn’t watch the video but maybe worth pointing this out re the CDC guy:

Trump also continued chiding Redfield, and took aim at other comments he'd made during his testimony about the importance of wearing mask. Redfield testified it's currently "the most important, powerful public health tool we have."

"I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against COVID than when I take a COVID vaccine," Redfield testified.

Which is, for avoidance of doubt, an incredibly stupid thing to say for a whole host of reasons. Who knows how effective the vaccines will be but face masks being more effective? Wow. That’s up there with the fish and chips vaccine.
    I'm with the resistance

If he gets infected people to wear them its a win. Also, masks are better than nothing in terms of protection from being infected. Some masks are better than others. And also, while a mask may not prevent infection, there is some evidence that it may reduce the "viral load", so it's not a terrible message.

Im not quite sure how to read some of your posts at times DMZ. The guy is talking sense, at this stage its not certain a vaccine will actually work whereas the benefits of masks are proven (despite the conspiracy stuff). He has to talk about what he knows for certain not maybes.
    Trump is desperate for a vaccine for his political gain, nothing else. He doesnt care about clinical trials etc, he just wants to say we have a vaccine. The fact that even if approved today the sheer scale means it would take years to manufacture enough and vaccinate everyone is irrelevant to him. There is also the issue with a lot of his base are the types who are anti vaxxers or believe its some kind of bill gates tracker.

Masks used COLLECTIVELY are effective to a high degree. Used individually they are not very effective at all for the wearer. It's like "mutually assured" protection.

Vaccines are also more effective collectively, but only to an estimated 50 to 60%, which is lower than the protection provided by universal mask use. But vaccines also have a significant benefit individually, even if very few use it.

So yes, his advice may be scientifically sound, but perhaps not very expedient when we are about to try and get everyone to vaccinate.
    Last edited by stooge166; 17-09-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    You’ve got to face the fact there may now be a meltdown. OK? I don’t want anybody to panic during the meltdown. No panic. Pro bono publico, no bloody panic. It’s going to be all right in the end.

It's not even scientifically sound but obviously a monumentally stupid thing to say when it's obviously in everyone's interests that people get vaccinated if or when there is a safe vaccine. To suggest that face masks are a better protection is complete and utter bonkerdom. I'm amazed how that guy can be held up as some kind of benchmark of truth. He's possibly actually worse than Trump which is a difficult level to reach in fairness.

As a backdrop, a lot of countries that whole heartedly adopted face masks early on are now in the complete sh1ts. So to say it's better than a vaccine is just wow.
    I'm with the resistance

Oh and the CDC guy later backtracked on twitter as he obviously realised that what he said wasn't the smartest thing ever.
    I'm with the resistance