Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW M2 Competition review

BMW M2 Competition review

The BMW First service has been mentioned in another thread, something I'd previously never heard of, and seeing that it involved a BMW M2 Comp among other things I signed up as soon as I could and booked a slot in early March. I'm planning quite a few performance car rentals this year and more about that as they unfold but this was the first one. And a good one it was! It's nice to see BMW doing a service like this in Ireland, it's to the best of my knowledge unique in the Irish market. A little glimmer of awesomeness in an otherwise grey world full of diesel and CO2 emissions dullness.

Re M cars, the story goes that BMW lost its way a little bit. There's a lot of talk of efficiency and obviously moving towards turbo-charged cars and if YouTube and internet wisdom is to be believed the M products took a bit of a dive as a result with spiky engines and suspension that lacked the ability to deal with less than perfect surfaces. But the last few revisions of the cars have supposedly solved many of these issues and the M2 Competition is held up as a prime example of this. So let's see!

Before we go into some details we need to accept that traditional BMW trademarks like butter smooth naturally aspirated straight sixes and excellent steering feedback are things in the past. As noted many times before, in this grade of car that's pretty much how it is these days.

With that out of the way, the M2 Competition is an excellent car. One of best I've driven and I'll compare it with some others towards the end. This is a serious hard driving car that likes to go hard. The harder you go the more it comes alive. The overriding experience in the car is how to manage the rear. There is a constant battle between the tyres and the road as the tyres try to deal with the massive amounts of torque. Whether you're going straight or you're going through a corner. Going straight it does these hilarious squirms as it tries to find traction. In corners, you get a very nice throttle controlled rotation so you can adjust the car nicely. It's very nicely balanced, it's agile, it goes like stink, what more do you want really? This is BMW back in finest form.

It's a really nicely designed car particularly on the outside. The wide track at the rear, the wheels are nice, the colour is nice, the black detailing against the colour, ... The interior is also nice with alcantara and I really like the seats.

Like many modern cars it comes with every setting known to man and you can quickly switch from angry "M" mode to a slight less angry normal mode if you just want to tool around. It never really becomes docile, though. All you're really doing is dialling up and down the amount of anger. This is probably both a good and a bad thing but for me even the lowest level of anger is sometimes a bit much.

Just in case you forget what car you're in:

Finally I will compare it with some other cars to put it into context:

Porsche 997.1 C2S: The 997 has way more feedback overall in a way that practically nothing has anymore, a very nice naturally aspirated sound, has much more rear grip, and you can wring the last bits of power out of it with much satisfaction. But... the M2 Comp has better suspension which is not unimportant on our roads, is certainly much quicker, feels more modern obviously, has a very fast DCT box if that's your thing, and has its own character where it's nearly all about playing with the rear of the car.

Porsche 991.2 C2 & GTS: I drove these on very different roads and a year or so ago so not easy to make a comparison. I think the 991.2 is quite similar to the M2 Comp in many ways and I'm not entirely sure the 991.2 actually offers much over the M2 Comp. The 991 is a beautiful car, there's all the Porsche history and depth, it's no doubt a bit quicker, and Porsches drive differently due to their layout but 2x the price? I think I would be happy to stick half the Porsche budget into an M2 Comp and spend the rest on cocaine and hookers.

Porsche Cayman 981 GTS: I would take the M2 Comp over this. There's not enough drama or go in the Cayman. The Cayman may well have a bit more finesse but it's a bit dull tbh.

VW Golf R: I think I said in another thread that the Golf R is an excellent blend of every day and going hard. I never thought there would be a day when I thought the Golf R would feel slow but in comparison to an M2 Comp it's a soft gentle car that's kind of like going to the shops a bit quicker. They're incomparable. The flip side is that when you want to get to the shops a bit quicker the Golf R is much easier to live with. The damping sophistication in the Golf R is superior and it's very well setup for Irish roads but there's practically none of the exhilaration, fear, getting airborne, and adjustability that you get in the M2 Comp.

Jaguar F-Type R: I'm including this for a laugh as it would be more appropriate to compare it with my CL500. I'm not really sure what to write about it, the M2 Comp is in a totally different league. If you want to cruise around in a nice convertible and make V8 noises the F-Type R is definitely a better car (as is a CL500) but if you want to go hard over some epic roads, the M2 Comp would just disappear.

I wouldn't mind trying an M2 Comp vs a Giulia Quadrifoglio. From memory the Giulia is a good bit softer. It rides extremely well, has plenty of go, you can play with it also and it has a similar OMGness in a wet corner but the M2 Comp strikes me as a harder alternative.

I know a few others here have booked it as well so let's see what you think!
    I'm with the resistance

Ill have to get booking asap.
    Its almost nonsensical not to.
    Is it a staright forward as the website would have you believe? Any great deposits or the like?
    How long did you have it?

I had it for four days. I was planning to have it for longer but had to cut it short.

Yes it's super simple and the guys dealing with it are very nice. There's €1,500 excess and they put a hold on that on your card plus obviously the rental fee itself. And yes, it's a no-brainer.
    I'm with the resistance

I am getting it the weekend after next. I am going to drive it next to the M3 and see. I am seriously looking forward to this (particularly as DMZ has apparently scrubbed the tyres into slicks).

I take it you have to own a BMW already to avail of this, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by llcoolmac View Post
    I take it you have to own a BMW already to avail of this, yes?
    I was just going to ask that question as well..

It almost seems too good to be true that you can rent cars like this.

It's a great way to experience performance like that and not have to worry about purchase price,tax etc.

By the way, I have hooned a lot with DMZ and white knuckled as a pax with him in a Giulia (and maybe made him white knuckle a bit too from time to time ), so when he says this:

"The overriding experience in the car is how to manage the rear. There is a constant battle between the tyres and the road as the tyres try to deal with the massive amounts of torque. Whether you're going straight or you're going through a corner. Going straight it does these hilarious squirms as it tries to find traction."

"All you're really doing is dialling up and down the amount of anger. This is probably both a good and a bad thing but for me even the lowest level of anger is sometimes a bit much."

"the Golf R is much easier to live with. The damping sophistication in the Golf R is superior and it's very well setup for Irish roads but there's practically none of the exhilaration, fear, getting airborne, and adjustability that you get in the M2 Comp"

"I wouldn't mind trying an M2 Comp vs a Giulia Quadrifoglio. From memory the Giulia is a good bit softer. It rides extremely well, has plenty of go, you can play with it also and it has a similar OMGness in a wet corner but the M2 Comp strikes me as a harder alternative."

I can guarantee you that the M2 Comp has been TESTED.

Have this booked for 10 days in May, really looking forward to it Will probably sit down and devise a route based on all the recommendations in the "Backroads roads of Ireland thread" - thanks for that by the way.

Would've booked it for sooner but doing a Scottish road trip through the NC500 first. Looking forward to that too!
    Current: ‘03 BMW E39 530i
    Previous: ‘03 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i Roadster
    Previous: ‘07 BMW E92 335i
    Previous: ‘97 BMW E36 323i Coupé

I’ve signed up but need to wait until my free trial period is up before booking a car as far as I know.

It is just the one they have for rental?