Thread: Pushbike options for carrying 5 year old

Pushbike options for carrying 5 year old

Before the summer comes around I'd like to source something to carry my 5 year old with me on the bike. We have a nice 7km each way spin on the canal greenway to visit family but he's grown out of the traditional rear bike seat and he's too small to cycle that far himself yet.

Ive have a hybrid with no pannier. He has a great little Specialized Hotrock which he can cycle well.

I know there are tow bars like "trailgator", crossbar seats etc. Our combined weight would be about 110kg so that's probably a factor too.

What do ye recommend tried and tested?
    Last edited by Tsporter; 03-03-2019 at 04:48 PM.

If he's 5 and he's too big for a rear-mount child seat (22 or 25kg is their usual max limit), then he's probably (already, or soon to be) too big for a crossbar seat - he'll be bashing your chin (or your nose, if he's bigger) with the back of his head.

The trailgator will work with his current bike, but a tag-along might suit too - he can give some assistance with either of these.

Last edited by Type17; 03-03-2019 at 08:39 PM.

michael D has one and they cycle him around the aras on it, i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Type17 View Post
    If he's 5 and he's too big for a rear-mount child seat (22 or 25kg is their usual max limit), then he's probably already, or soon to be) too big for a crossbar seat - he'll be bashing your chin (or your nose, if he's bigger) with the back of his head.

The trailgator will work with his current bike, but a tag-along might suit too - he can give some assistance with either of these.

Anyone selling a tag along bike by any chance?

Don't know of any used ones, but there's a guy on Adverts.ie selling them (no connection with/knowledge of him, but he has lots of feedback, almost all positive)

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/we...-green/5633549

Yeah that's what I'm after, but don't want to pay that for something we'll probably use a few times. I'll keep an eye on adverts.

I have something like the above for my little lad. It does the job grand, but can be tricky if in tight situations like traffic, etc. Also he is a long way behind me so you do not get the sense that he is there or not, suggest a mirror to check without having to turn around, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jimgti View Post
    I have something like the above for my little lad. It does the job grand, but can be tricky if in tight situations like traffic, etc. Also he is a long way behind me so you do not get the sense that he is there or not, suggest a mirror to check without having to turn around, etc.
    Cheers, it'll just be for the canal Greenway during the summer. We are lucky enough to live right beside it and it brings us right to my parents in the next town.