Thread: Category S write offs

Category S write offs

I'm guessing most folks haven't heard of Category S write offs. (I hadn't) And I'm generally wary of the clickbaity end AE's newsroom.
    But you'd have to wonder how many of these "unrecorded" repaired cars end up over here...

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...te-off-scandal

I don't have an issue with repaired cars being resold where that's engineered and documented, but I'd hate to hand over cash for a car that presented itself as having a clean bill of health, but turned out to be hiding secrets...
    If they think you're crude, go technical; if they think you're technical, go crude. I'm a very technical boy.

Nothing new there, unrecorded damaged cars have been on the go forever.

I commute up & down the M1 every day and I'm pretty much guaranteed to see a transporter loaded with crashed cars each day, if not then at least a tow truck with 2/3. I suspect few are declared as having been crashed at all and just end up back on the road driven by some unfortunate who paid over the odds for a badly repaired car

There are plenty of cars that get reasonably heavy bangs and are repaired through insurance without being categorised also as they aren't written off.

Nothing new in this, it's been going on as long as there have been things to crash in to.
    There is value to be had in repaired cat C/D/N/S from the mainland but only if you know what you are looking at.

But as we all know, if buying used regardless of where it is coming from always inspect for damage.

And there will always be a market for dodgy dealers to flog scrap, I have friends who pay top dollar to import from Area 6 and as long as it has the badge and year the want, the fact that bits are missing, ill fitting and those annoying lights on the dash are there, it simply doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Rochey; 21-03-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizz View Post
    I commute up & down the M1 every day and I'm pretty much guaranteed to see a transporter loaded with crashed cars each day, if not then at least a tow truck with 2/3. I suspect few are declared as having been crashed at all and just end up back on the road driven by some unfortunate who paid over the odds for a badly repaired car
    actually saw 3 transporters heading northbound on the M1 this morning with all the reg's taped over and visible damage to panels, a Kia with a bonnet covered in oil and a nice white Quattroporte.... Be interesting to see if this hits the market and what way it is described