Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Budget VW Phaeton

Finally got around to giving this a quick wash this evening. It was absolutely filthy.

Before, I let the suspension up to wash it, don't have to bend down as far

Wheels were very bad, front's seem to get a lot of staining on them from the brakes.

As always the camera does a lot of lying, the paint is ok mostly but a few nasty scratches in places, what really lets it down is the corrosion coming through the doors, it seems to be a very common problem with them.

The wheels have really grown on me, I'll probably still change them when the tyres are shot but there's a few miles left yet, original phaeton wheels are bloody expensive and would have to be got from europe somewhere which really pushes the price up so I'll probably start looking towards OE audi wheels, A6 or A8.
    Dr Per Gillbrand - "“All engines have an oil pump, a fuel pump and a water pump, so why not an air pump, which is all a turbo really is? I think it’s odd that all engines don’t have one!”

That’s mad jk, was looking forward to how she cleaned up and fully expected you to be amazed at the detail and quality of finish, to the point that you could hose it down and go at it with a yard brush outside & in.

Basically because that’s what the 3 rungs down the ladder, same year vrs is like and the other 02 was was exactly the same, arrived pretty rough around the edges, but cleaned up to look like a car half it’s age and just really well screwed together.

Whatever about scratches , that level of rust is disappointing in something that was lauded as a halo, vanity project for da boss , that lost them a ton of money and depreciated like a lead encased stone!

Not knocking the car , I’d love a go off one and would spend hours polishing and admiring those hinges, just surprised.

To be honest this things biggest problem is the amount of neglect its suffered over the years. Its actually fairly dent free which is surprising given the size of it, somebody has sat on the bonnet at some stage and left a good few scratches. It looks good from a distance though, I'll get round to giving it a proper clean during the summer some time, including boot hinges and under the bonnet

If you think the corrosion is bad now imagine how you'd have felt when it appeared and the car less than 2 years old The door skins are aluminium and the frames are steel so galvanic corrosion seems to have been the problem. There's loads of threads from when they were still pretty new with people going back to VW with them under warranty. You really would expect better for something that cost this much but then again it is a VW

I will say the interior (once again apart from the neglect, saying that the only problem is broken plastic on the drivers seat) is definitely one of the best put together I've ever been in, there literally isn't a single squeak, rattle or creak in it.
    Dr Per Gillbrand - "“All engines have an oil pump, a fuel pump and a water pump, so why not an air pump, which is all a turbo really is? I think it’s odd that all engines don’t have one!”

Progress has been slow on this, finally got around to doing another bit though.

Ordered a few bits from autodoc.de,

Got a genuine ZF filter kit for the gearbox, comes with filter, gasket, drain plug, bolts, magnets and new fill plug o ring.

Also got a crank pulley and bolts as the old one was a bit all over the place and probably a matter of time until it gave up, engine definitely feels a bit smoother after it.

With the transmission I also decided to drop the valve body out and change the seals between that and the gearbox, on some of the zf6hp boxes these can split and cause various faults, the seals on mine looked ok though, its pretty easy to get the valve body out though on these, just 11 or 12 bolts.

The magnets in the sump had a bit of stuff on them, no large metal chips which is good but a lot of fine material, probably not excessive for something with 140,000 miles on it though.

I filled it up with fresh oil, using the mannol equivalent of lifeguard 6, maybe its just my imagination but it does feel better, the slipping is still there but it requires more load to get it to slip, i'm going to give the fluid another change tomorrow if it isn't pissing rain and then just drive it for a while and see what it does, its not so bad that you couldn't live with it.

This is my wonderful ramp setup that I'm working with

Some good updates there! Just a question on the gearbox oil. Did you follow the procedure for filling the gearbox at the right temp? I think the window is 30-50 Degrees C and then cycle through the gears a few times. Wondering the same about my own gearbox on my 530d and mine has the same mileage.

Edit: Just seen you did this at the start of your thread!
    Last edited by 318 iS cosmos; 02-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Current: '06 Silver Grey E60 530d
    Previous: '03 Silver Grey E46 M3, '02 Imola Red E46 325Ci, '98 Cosmos Schwartz E36 318iS

i like the ramp set up, how high does it lift the car , one side or both ?

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS cosmos View Post
    Some good updates there! Just a question on the gearbox oil. Did you follow the procedure for filling the gearbox at the right temp? I think the window is 30-50 Degrees C and then cycle through the gears a few times. Wondering the same about my own gearbox on my 530d and mine has the same mileage.

Edit: Just seen you did this at the start of your thread!
    I would be of the thinking if it ain't broken leave it alone from a gearbox point of view.

I have a friend who serviced his "perfect" 535d gearbox and then it itself a few months later and also read some similar experiences online.

I don't know is it coincidence or the gunk holding the thing together better but I won't be doing anything to my 535d box until there is a fault requiring me to do to...

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    I would be of the thinking if it ain't broken leave it alone from a gearbox point of view.

I have a friend who serviced his "perfect" 535d gearbox and then it itself a few months later and also read some similar experiences online.

I don't know is it coincidence or the gunk holding the thing together better but I won't be doing anything to my 535d box until there is a fault requiring me to do to...
    Mine is starting to slip at slow speeds (I need to drive another one to be honest) and I notice it on the motorways too slightly. Could well be the torque converter on its way out.
    Current: '06 Silver Grey E60 530d
    Previous: '03 Silver Grey E46 M3, '02 Imola Red E46 325Ci, '98 Cosmos Schwartz E36 318iS

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS cosmos View Post
    Mine is starting to slip at slow speeds (I need to drive another one to be honest) and I notice it on the motorways too slightly. Could well be the torque converter on its way out.
    Out of interest is it remapped? , Lovely car btw see one here locally and they are nice and discreet.
    Last edited by steveonee; 02-05-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Similar box on my A8 that I bought off Markb and he did a couple flushes and a change. Gearshifts are sublime. I'm sure he noticed an improvement.