Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Daily Saab9-3

Winter Daily Saab9-3

Hi All,

Introducing the winter hack/bangeromics/saving for a wedding.

The Altezza was getting expensive to run. Ended up putting on 15,000kms in 6 months. It needed serviced every 5k. I can service it myself which kept costs down a lot but it will still expensive when I'm supposed to be saving for a wedding.

I sourced a car for my mother last year to replace her Saab. Mazda 3, 2.2 SkyActiv Sport Automatic. Great car. As a thank you, she gave me this, as it was beginning to have a few problems.

It was smoking a lot from a blocked egr, and dpf. She had the egr valve replaced and it was still throwing out black smoke out of the exhaust. People thought the car was going on fire. It also kept going into limp mode. She was driving 2 miles one way to work 6 days per week and never really got a long spin and engine wasn't in great shape.

I got it serviced with fully synthetic oil 5w30, new oil and fuel filters. It also got a new anti-roll bar drop link. Done an alignment on it also.

I've been running dipetane through each tank. I've put 3 tanks through the car so far, doing similar mileage as I was in the Altezza. So far no problems at all.

The best part is, the mpg is now staying around 47mpg. It was getting 27.5mpg previously.

The oil is staying golden, not going black so it seems it was all down to how the car was being driven.

Anyway here's some pictures of it...

021 by davemx-5, on Flickr

025 by davemx-5, on Flickr

20180421_182720 by davemx-5, on Flickr

IMG-20180418-WA0012 by davemx-5, on Flickr

IMG-20180418-WA0002 by davemx-5, on Flickr

IMG-20180418-WA0008 by davemx-5, on Flickr

IMG-20180418-WA0014 by davemx-5, on Flickr

Nice one, I was wondering about 47 as normally they would do more if you tried at all but then I see its auto, so that's pretty good going! Nice fiat jtd engines in those.best of luck with it.

Not the worst compromise in the world methinks. Some difference between previous and current MPG figures.

Great auld buses these, should go forever. Smart looking too.

Cheers folks! Yeah I'm fairly happy with the 47mpg as well for an auto.

Hopefully thats the last of the egr problems now. The engine sounds and feels a lot smoother and turbo is boosting as it should.

Is the fiat engine also in the Vecrtra of that age? That's interesting!

Before the alignment i thought the car was awful to drive and quite dangerous. After the alignment it totally transformed the car. Handles quite well now and cant get over how much of a difference it made.

Welcome to the club....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Twinspark View Post
    Great auld buses these, should go forever. Smart looking too.
    This. They are such brilliant cars at the price point. It takes a little while with one to appreciate them.
    2003 BMW 325i Sport Touring (E46)
    2018 Volvo V40 D2 R-Design
    2005 Adria Coral 630DH

Aren't this era of Saab's though supposed to have lots of engine and gearbox issues???

The previous gen of Saab 93 had oil sludging issues. I'm not aware of common gearbox or engine issues on this era of 93 (03-11) petrol or diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Flet View Post
    This. They are such brilliant cars at the price point. It takes a little while with one to appreciate them.
    Yeah I've never had a car that's been so sensitive to an alignment. Really made a night and day difference. I hated it before then, and as you say I'm learning to appreciate it now slowly but surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gn3dr View Post
    Aren't this era of Saab's though supposed to have lots of engine and gearbox issues???
    I've never seen any 9-3's with issues, however i always see lots of 9-5 aeros for sale with auto gearbox failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeryantipperary View Post
    The previous gen of Saab 93 had oil sludging issues. I'm not aware of common gearbox or engine issues on this era of 93 (03-11) petrol or diesel.

Yours looks very clean. Do you have a thread? Is it an aero?