Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow headlights ( aka plastic headlight restoration kit question)

Yellow headlights ( aka plastic headlight restoration kit question)

Hi All ( and Happy new year!),

Quick question - I have used the meguiars plastic headlight restoration kit a number of times on my old Lexus at this stage but the "yellowness" keeps coming back after a few months. I have heard that there is a clear lacquer that you can get to spray on to the lights after using the headlight restoration kit but can not find it anywhere.

Does anyone know where I might get the clear lacquer for this??

Thanks!

I use a good quality wax. Most would have UV protection. Seems to work for me when I do headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by x19dude View Post
    Hi All ( and Happy new year!),

Quick question - I have used the meguiars plastic headlight restoration kit a number of times on my old Lexus at this stage but the "yellowness" keeps coming back after a few months. I have heard that there is a clear lacquer that you can get to spray on to the lights after using the headlight restoration kit but can not find it anywhere.

Does anyone know where I might get the clear lacquer for this??

Thanks!
    there is a newer meguairs kit that comes with this spray in it

https://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/two-...resoration-kit
    335i #Team500

Is that Meguairs kit designed to be applied with elbow grease or with a polisher of some kind? I didn't think it would be possible to get decent results without high speed application using pads of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinspark View Post
    Is that Meguairs kit designed to be applied with elbow grease or with a polisher of some kind? I didn't think it would be possible to get decent results without high speed application using pads of some sort.
    Meguiars do a headlight restoration kit which comes with pads which you attach to a drill to help polish the headlights

Ahhh, any old common or garden drill? Makes sense now.

Be careful when using a rotary device like a drill or rotary polisher though - very easy to burn the plastic (I've done this!). I've had better success with a DA polisher (DAS 6 Pro) - you can more safely lean on that without as much risk of damage.

There is a video somewhere on Youtube where a guy used WD40 and paper kitchen towels to make his lights clear again.6 months later they were still perfect.

I've had good results using the autoglym headlight kit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I used brasso to refurb the lenses on a Primera before. Did the job well.