Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Car imports (just got a little more affordable)

Japanese Car imports (just got a little more affordable)

I'm sure I'm not the only person here to notice but the new EU-Japan free trade deal looks like it will go into force in February.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/ma...art/ar-BBQQsql

And the 10% import duty on the cars is gone. Considering that VAT and then VRT is calculated from the base price + duty, it would seem lmporting has just got a quite a bit cheaper

Might we worth looking out for something interesting again in the auctions next year...

DW

Every little helps but I'd imagine the VRT will be unaffected on used cars. The market value of the cars will remain similar here I would expect?

New motors, I'd imagine most of there are manufactured in Europe and other areas and not Japan so limited impact?

Is 23% vat still payable?

Quote Originally Posted by Neilo View Post
    Is 23% vat still payable?
    I would have thought so as the car has not been registered either here or in Europe before.

Be great if it wasn't payable but that would be too much like a good thing...

VAT is still payable. The (used) car needs to come from the EU to be VAT exempt on import.

You definitely save the 10% duty component, the VRT dice throwing exercise multiplied by the phase of the moon will probably not yield a different result.

All of the interesting Japanese cars are made in Japan are they not? GT-R, MX-5, Civic Type-R, ... you never know, maybe some savings will be passed on?
    I'm with the resistance

I import japs - and it will not get cheaper. They always, always get ya.

Just out of interest. Say a car is priced on a Japanese auction site at €10,000. What would you end up paying by the time it gets here? Not asking anyone to include VRT by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by llcoolmac View Post
    Just out of interest. Say a car is priced on a Japanese auction site at €10,000. What would you end up paying by the time it gets here? Not asking anyone to include VRT by the way.
    shipping , fees , customs fees, handling and vat @23

Quote Originally Posted by Derv View Post
    shipping , fees , customs fees, handling and vat @23
    And previously there would have been duty of 10% on that including the shipping? So it would amount to a saving of about €1200 on a car of that value. Not going to make a huge difference so but certainly makes it better than paying it!

Quote Originally Posted by llcoolmac View Post
    And previously there would have been duty of 10% on that including the shipping? So it would amount to a saving of about €1200 on a car of that value. Not going to make a huge difference so but certainly makes it better than paying it!
    every little helps, if its realised.