Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Traders on forum. Time to be fully paid up?

Ah getouttahere with your psuedo-rebellion -alan- , yer as bad as them hipsters for striking a pose..

Why bother ask those questions if you aren't personally interested in the car? Those are legit questions, and anyone personally interested should and likely will ask in person. If you think someone might be about to pull the trigger and you have pertinent facts, there's nothing stopping you PM'ing them, it's just that sometimes the "obvious" is not obvious, but shades of grey, 90% of the truth is not the truth and there's a danger of threads turning into witch trials.

That's the only reason I'm asking folks to tell the mods, so we can build up patterns over time rather then people just getting the pitchforks out as imaginary guardians of the consumer. Also, it means that at least a few heads discuss it discretely, which tends to mean a calmer outcome, instead of a single person (mod or not) just acting off their own judgement and starting a trial by internet.
    Last edited by crank_case; 12-12-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post
    Ah getouttahere with your psuedo-rebellion -alan- , yer as bad as them hipsters for striking a pose..

If you think someone might be about to pull the trigger and you have pertinent facts, there's nothing stopping you PM'ing them, it's just that sometimes the "obvious" is not obvious, but shades of grey, 90% of the truth is not the truth and there's a danger of threads turning into witch trials.

That's the only reason I'm asking folks to tell the mods, so we can build up patterns over time rather then people just getting the pitchforks out as imaginary guardians of the consumer.

Also, it means that at least a few heads discuss it discretely, which tends to mean a calmer outcome, instead of a single person (mod or not) just acting off their own judgement and starting a trial by internet.

Ah come off it man

If you're hoping to sell into a community/forum of like-minded individuals then you are undoubtedly leveraging off the general goodwill and trust between members.

No need for hushed flagging of concerns offline discussions amongst the Elders - if a seller can't handle some pointed questions as to the motivation behind his/her reasons for selling a car, then they shouldn't be posting on a community-type forum.

There's plenty of commercial classified sites out there where you can be as prudent with your information share as you like

I really do not think it's a problem here on backroads, I know myself having sold several cars here and I am by no means a trader! Use the car get rid of it as I didn't like it or just have an itch for something different. Not so much anymore myself due to life getting in the way.
    But I have been an active member since good old octane days, contribute on a regular basis.

However there is one poster who stands out in my eyes (which I challenged in a thread previously), who all they seem to use the site for is selling their cars and gets brazen then when challenged or queried

Quote Originally Posted by vinnymcdonnell View Post
    I really do not think it's a problem here on backroads, I know myself having sold several cars here and I am by no means a trader! Use the car get rid of it as I didn't like it or just have an itch for something different. Not so much anymore myself due to life getting in the way.
    But I have been an active member since good old octane days, contribute on a regular basis.

However there is one poster who stands out in my eyes (which I challenged in a thread previously), who all they seem to use the site for is selling their cars and gets brazen then when challenged or queried
    No problem at all with Backroads, its my main go to forum these days. Enough interest across all range of cars for everyone.

But the one poster has really started to take the mickey, especially for those who contribute a lot and keep the site current. This is whats triggered it, no contribution whatsoever and has previously been challenged and brazen like you said. Three four five cars you can understand, get to know the Backroads Massive first and be subtle about it.

I feel now for other traders who have held back, plus to think we may be missing out on trade prices for certain items because of a lack of clarity! Id rather give business to a member on here than someone not.

The way I view it is that, if someone is a genuine trader, he should be up front about it and I'd have more respect and time for him than the stealth type who is actually abusing the forum for his own ends. There's a whiff of fraud about holding yourself out as a private seller/deliberately not disclosing your status when you're really a dealer. I'm more than happy if a self confessed trader is giving advice or useful comments/information which enhances a member's understanding of a problem. However, selling without disclosing it's in the course of your business is, to me, akin to insider trading.

While I'm not a trader, I've never made a secret of what I do for a living and I've been willing to help members within the context of backroads. If they choose to follow up by contacting me, it's their decision. That's the way I think it should be.
    Beware of imitations; there's another lawyer out there calling himself "Lucanlaw!" So the writing on the wall may be a forgery!

Why someone wouldn't be up front about what they're doing is beyond me, considering a bit of internet work will usually quickly uncover any fibs. I doubt anyone cares too much if someone is doing a bit of small dealing, honesty and a good car are all that matters

What you have to bear in mind is that a consumer's rights when dealing with a trader are much greater than when dealing with a private seller. My concern is that a seller who chooses to conceal their trader status and thereby leads a buyer to think they're dealing with a private seller is trying to avoid the responsibilities and liabilities which would otherwise automatically follow if the car was later found to be defective. My suspicion is that, if he's hiding his true nature, then there's something dodgy about the car and he's trying to fraudulently offload it to a forum member!

Following on from that, my concern is that if one of the Moderators knew the person was a trader and failed to flag it to members here, there might be legal implications for the guys who kindly give of their time to maintain this forum for the benefit of all of us! That can't be allowed to happen!
    Beware of imitations; there's another lawyer out there calling himself "Lucanlaw!" So the writing on the wall may be a forgery!

Boils down to the definition of 'A Trader' really.
    When does a higher-than-average volume private seller officially become one ?

Quote Originally Posted by -alan- View Post
    Boils down to the definition of 'A Trader' really.
    When does a higher-than-average volume private seller officially become one ?
    I believe it is three cars per annum makes you a trader.....well it does for a small claims
    FIANNA FLET......a lot of fletting done, more fletting to do

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Haughey View Post
    I believe it is three cars per annum makes you a trader.....well it does for a small claims
    That's the general rule but, like most law, it's a bit of a grey area. For example, I sold my Subaru Legacy estate recently. I'm going to sell my classic Mini Cooper Spi when the weather improves and I'm on the lookout for a particular car which, if I find a good one, will lead to the private sale of my Abarth. That would be 3 sales possibly within 6 or 7 months. But I'm definitely not a trader.

I think the Revenue Commissioners, the Director of Consumer Affairs and the Courts are more inclined to look for a pattern of buying and selling, possibly taking trade-ins and running an apparently profitable business. A guy who is in the habit of constantly buying, driving for a while and selling to move on to the next motor isn't in that mode. The most obvious test is the quantity and how often cars are being advertised for sale and where the seller is rarely, if ever, the registered owner of the cars. "Kerbside Motors" is still going strong!