Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: home automation upgrade, hubs, protocols, etc

Quote Originally Posted by long11 View Post
    its all relative I guess... if you can wire a stereo into a car, this isn't much more difficult IMO.
    A multimeter will be a big help in determining which wire goes to which sensor if they aren't already labelled inside the current panel. Usually there is a nice diagram in the manual for your wired alarm showing what is what.
    I installed my current wired alarm with sensors/modules I picked up from ebay/maplin, I had no experience of alarms before I started it and found it pretty straight forward.
    cool, i see on this website the do a piggyback version, so I'd not feck up the original alarm when installing.

Do any of ye have concerns about frying your brains with all the WiFi transmitting around the place all the time?

This might be a bit of a stupid question but how do these wireless alarms work in a power outage i.e no power, no WiFi etc

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    This might be a bit of a stupid question but how do these wireless alarms work in a power outage i.e no power, no WiFi etc
    I think people are talking 'wireless' at cross purposes:
    - wireless in the sense that the sensors themselves have no wires, typically have coin batteries (CR2025 etc), and communicate over RF or similar. Great for retro-fit to a house without pre-existing wiring infrastructure. Downside is changing out those batteries around the place.
    - wireless in the sense that you have either a a standard alarm (wires going to the sensors) or a 'wireless' as above, but also that the control panel is internet connected and hence can be controlled from your phone 'wirelessly'. In effect a standard alarm, but needs that wiring infrastructure around the house.

Both should still have a battery backed control panel, and withstand power outages. Neither should be dependent on WiFi for standard operation. If you lost power and Wifi, you would mostly likely need to refer back to standard control panel.

Has anyone any experience of the Aviva connect home package? Alarm, 3 zone smart thermostat and 2 smart plugs. I think they're doing it for €250.

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    I don't think wired or wireless is a big deal for an alarm - what's more important is having a decent API to it.
    I've an SPC wired alarm, and full API access - so can trigger off any of the alarms sensors - doors, PIR's, windows etc.
    It is, there is multiple instances of non national gangs using wireless blocking devices here.

After a bit more research last night I'm thinking I'll run it all on a raspberry pi using home-assistant/hass.io for a few reasons, main ones being :
    That you can have both wired and wireless sensors,
    I won't have to reply on a server in China somewhere to act as a controller (like the ewelink app) so it should keep working if the broadband is down.
    Any existing wireless sensors I have can integrate (sonoff stuff needs a bit of fiddling I think but its not impossible)
    Zwave/zigbee/google assistant are supported
    There seems to be a huge community involved in this so plenty of support/forums
    Its open source.

I installed it on a pi last night and managed to get google assistant working nicely. Next step for me is to plug in a spare router I have, leave it unconnected to broadband and see how that goes (obviously google assistant won't work until it is connected).
    When I do connect it to the internet I think I'll look into using a VPN.

What have you automated yourself?
    Also, for your wired alarm, check this out, a small board that will make your wired alarm wireless : https://konnected.io/
    I've done the lights, cctv, sockets, audio, heating all linked to multiple google home devices and all trigger each other
    Last edited by baldrick; 07-12-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    It is, there is multiple instances of non national gangs using wireless blocking devices here.
    are Irish criminals too thick to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    are Irish criminals too thick to do it?
    They do, but only on commercial properties in my experience.

After a bit more research last night I'm thinking I'll run it all on a raspberry pi using home-assistant/hass.io for a few reasons, main ones being :
    That you can have both wired and wireless sensors,
    I won't have to reply on a server in China somewhere to act as a controller (like the ewelink app) so it should keep working if the broadband is down.
    Any existing wireless sensors I have can integrate (sonoff stuff needs a bit of fiddling I think but its not impossible)
    Zwave/zigbee/google assistant are supported
    There seems to be a huge community involved in this so plenty of support/forums
    Its open source.

I installed it on a pi last night and managed to get google assistant working nicely. Next step for me is to plug in a spare router I have, leave it unconnected to broadband and see how that goes (obviously google assistant won't work until it is connected).
    When I do connect it to the internet I think I'll look into using a VPN.

What have you automated yourself?
    Also, for your wired alarm, check this out, a small board that will make your wired alarm wireless : https://konnected.io/
    How are you getting on with hass.io? I've been using it in a virtual machine on my home server for the past year and I'm amazed by the progress they're making with it! It's become so much easier to use in that time!

I've dabbled a bit with different integrations but at the moment it's mainly limited to lights. I have one of those cc2531 sniffers set up with zigbee2mqtt running a few bulbs in table lamps, and a handful of xiaomi sensors (door, humidity, temperature, presence, light) and switches. We had the hue system in every light fitting in the house at one stage but it was irritating having to put covers over the wall switches and having to use an app to toggle them. We've now just got them in lamp fittings with a zigbee button to toggle them.

I've got presence detection using our asus router which assumes we're home based on our phones being on the WiFi.

The firetv is linked to my hub, and the living room lights dim when it knows we're watching a movie, and go back to full brightness when we pause it.

I've also got automations to turn the downstairs ones on 1.5hrs before sunset, and the upstairs ones come on at sunset. I also have actionable telegram notifications to remind me they're on when I'm out late with options to turn them off using a telegram callback.

The most useful one is the xiaomi plant sensors, with notifications when it reaches a particular moisture %.

I previously had an rf receiver that allowed me to use a cheap rf doorbell button as a trigger to play a doorbell ring through my Google home mini. I've been trying to move everything to zigbee but still looking for a suitable doorbell button.

I love the flexibility it offers, and the fact that it's confined to your local network.