Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: home automation upgrade, hubs, protocols, etc

Quote Originally Posted by colm89 View Post
    How are you getting on with hass.io? I've been using it in a virtual machine on my home server for the past year and I'm amazed by the progress they're making with it! It's become so much easier to use in that time!

I've dabbled a bit with different integrations but at the moment it's mainly limited to lights. I have one of those cc2531 sniffers set up with zigbee2mqtt running a few bulbs in table lamps, and a handful of xiaomi sensors (door, humidity, temperature, presence, light) and switches. We had the hue system in every light fitting in the house at one stage but it was irritating having to put covers over the wall switches and having to use an app to toggle them. We've now just got them in lamp fittings with a zigbee button to toggle them.

I've got presence detection using our asus router which assumes we're home based on our phones being on the WiFi.

The firetv is linked to my hub, and the living room lights dim when it knows we're watching a movie, and go back to full brightness when we pause it.

I've also got automations to turn the downstairs ones on 1.5hrs before sunset, and the upstairs ones come on at sunset. I also have actionable telegram notifications to remind me they're on when I'm out late with options to turn them off using a telegram callback.

The most useful one is the xiaomi plant sensors, with notifications when it reaches a particular moisture %.

I previously had an rf receiver that allowed me to use a cheap rf doorbell button as a trigger to play a doorbell ring through my Google home mini. I've been trying to move everything to zigbee but still looking for a suitable doorbell button.

I love the flexibility it offers, and the fact that it's confined to your local network.
    Nice work! I've shelved it for the moment, am in the midst of a house renovation so thats taking up any downtime I had.
    Have decided to run a couple of cat 5 cables but will be going mostly wireless/mesh I think.

Is there an ad on module of some sort that can connect to an existing house alarm that will contact someone through WiFi when the alarm is ringing?
    Deadly Dave

Have a look at konnected.io

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks long11
    Deadly Dave

I'm back fiddling at this project (I've a feeling it won't be a short one) so I've picked up a few bits and pieces lately :

Sonoff wifi switches for installing in the ceiling to control some lights and controlling others in another building. These look pretty good... I'll be picking up a few more I'd say,

a Sonoff t1 wifi wall switch (not sure I'll actually use this now that I have the above... will see)

a Sonoff wifi/RF bridge to work with a few RF devices/sensors

RF door/window sensors (Sonoff DW1),

RF PIR sensors (Sonoff PIR2),

Wifi/RF/Wired alarm siren/optional hub (PM me if you want more details on this bit )

and a couple of universal 433mhz button fobs.

I'm amazed how the options have expanded since the last time I was looking at these ... plus the price drop is significant, most of the above is buttons now!
    When I was renovating I removed 26(!) 240v->12v transformers and 50w halogen gu10s from the downstairs ceilings, I've replaced these with 240v 3w LED gu10's but in one room the new bulb's white light was a bit... modern... too white. As a bit of an experiment I picked up one of IKEA's smart lighting starter kits ... gotta say, its very good. You can have 10 bulbs per controller which is perfect for those where I want the option of changing to a warmer white light.

When I've the above settled and configured I think I'll be looking to see if I can figure out a way to have some universal photocells trigger an action (like turn on house lights/ring a bell in the house)... anyone tried something like that?
    Last edited by long11; 14-02-2020 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by long11 View Post
    I'm back fiddling at this project (I've a feeling it won't be a short one) so I've picked up a few bits and pieces lately :

Sonoff wifi switches for installing in the ceiling to control some lights and controlling others in another building. These look pretty good... I'll be picking up a few more I'd say,

a Sonoff t1 wifi wall switch (not sure I'll actually use this now that I have the above... will see)

a Sonoff wifi/RF bridge to work with a few RF devices/sensors

RF door/window sensors (Sonoff DW1),

RF PIR sensors (Sonoff PIR2),

Wifi/RF/Wired alarm siren/optional hub (PM me if you want more details on this bit )

and a couple of universal 433mhz button fobs.

I'm amazed how the options have expanded since the last time I was looking at these ... plus the price drop is significant, most of the above is buttons now!
    When I was renovating I removed 26(!) 240v->12v transformers and 50w halogen gu10s from the downstairs ceilings, I've replaced these with 240v 3w LED gu10's but in one room the new bulb's white light was a bit... modern... too white. As a bit of an experiment I picked up one of IKEA's smart lighting starter kits ... gotta say, its very good. You can have 10 bulbs per controller which is perfect for those where I want the option of changing to a warmer white light.

When I've the above settled and configured I think I'll be looking to see if I can figure out a way to have some universal photocells trigger an action (like turn on house lights/ring a bell in the house)... anyone tried something like that?
    I've looked for motion sensors before that wouldn't break the bank but you seem to get what you pay for, as the cheap ones are slow, not very accurate...over all, cheap! So I have ordered one of the Hive smart motion sensors, think it was about 30e. It hasn't arrived yet but will see what its like. I'll then use IFTTT to trigger lights and see how we get on.

A very cool thing I found recently is with the ring video doorbell. When motion is detected or doorbell is rang, a wall mounted tablet in the sitting room will automatically display who is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKJVVE4T7Gg&t=855s

Really want to get around to some automation. Only advantage of not getting into yet is the kit is getting cheaper! That IKEA kit looks cool. But something self sufficient like triggered lights seems like a no brainer.

Ive been using the broadlink rm3 now for a while. Ive 3 of them and they link with google home. They are an ir blaster.

It copies any remote control from a non smart device and allows you to use google home to control them. For example the cheap lidl robot hoover can now be told to turn on or off, to charge itself etc... the upc box can be told to pick certain channels. For 12 euro they are a bargain

Check out the SONOFF stuff, I have a lot of it and find it very good. Sometimes can be a pain to pair up but works well.
    I use ALEXA.

SONOFF here----> https://www.itead.cc/ https://sonoff.tech/

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Ive been using the broadlink rm3 now for a while. Ive 3 of them and they link with google home. They are an ir blaster.

It copies any remote control from a non smart device and allows you to use google home to control them. For example the cheap lidl robot hoover can now be told to turn on or off, to charge itself etc... the upc box can be told to pick certain channels. For 12 euro they are a bargain
    Broadlink is next on the list