Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Well I Have Moved, And I Kept On Moving - Scotland Road Trip May '18

Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    What the hell is wrong with you people? I am going to the Canaries...
    The last time we did a trip together the global economy crashed and the world entered a crisis. What could possibly go wrong?

Awesome trip Flet.
    Your're ticking that Bucket List off hard and fast. Fair play. Loved your German trip write up too.

Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Flet View Post
    I didn't see any kind of law enforcement, but I did read on PH to not p1ss the locals off because they'll phone ahead to the next law station (and rightly so) who apparently take a very dim view of excess hoonage up there.

I would say to anyone considering this to do it in the shoulder seasons or even off season (as long as there is no snow). At one stage I got stuck between a Dutch motorhome on one of those single carriageways for 12-15 miles and I actually thought I was going to commit murder.
    Just read this great write up as I searched for info on the NC500. I would love to do something like that this coming year of we get out of these restrictions. Could it be done over a long weekend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. It will involve committed driving but that is what it is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotland. A land of rude hoteliers but nice people and scanty petrol stations open after 5 pm but motoring nirvana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Just read this great write up as I searched for info on the NC500. I would love to do something like that this coming year of we get out of these restrictions. Could it be done over a long weekend?
    Yeah - but the 500 itself is usually full of bl00dy motorhomes, a pure torture at times. The roads in the interior, including the aforementioned Military Road are a lot better fun. Be careful with the fuel once you get intto the back of beyond tho ..

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    You could, I suppose but it would be a mental amount of driving and to be honest I had nearly a week to do it and it still felt rushed.

Cairnryan to John O'Groats is essentially Mizen to Malin, a 365 mile 7-ish hour drive - more if you detour over the Cairngorms.

For just a long weekend I'd concentrate on the area between Ullapool and Mull/Oban.

I would like to go back and island-hop up the west coast on a very loose schedule. I'd like to see Ireland from the Mull of Kintyre and then ferry to Islay and Jura, then Oban out to the Hebrides and retrace my steps back to Ullapool. I would also love to fly from Inverness up to the Orkneys.

I nearly rammed a Dutch motorhome in frustration on one of the stretches of single carriageway when he just would not pull over for what felt like an hour. For those sorts of reasons I'd want to be on a loose schedule or else go early or late in the tourist season.

If you can at all bring your own company. If you are doing this alone, I found the Scotch in the north just didn't talk in pubs the way we do. When I got to Glasgow and wandered into The Pot Still pub and a fella started talking to me I nearly started crying with joy. I said what's the story with the Highlanders, they don't talk at all and he goes aye man, they're dour as f*ck. I love Glasgow so much, it's such a great town.
    Last edited by Flet; 17-01-2021 at 05:47 PM.
    1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
    2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
    2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Awesome trip, You should have let me know you were heading Toon direction and York, my old stomping grounds. There are some great pubs (away) from the centre of Newcastle.

The 30 stone strippers are pretty standard though I have to admit!
    THE LIMITS OF TYRANTS ARE PRESCRIBED BY THE ENDURANCE OF THOSE WHOM THEY OPPRESS.