Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here speak Hypermile ?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRA View Post
    Friend of mine tested it on a Beemer he had. Think it was a 640d gran coupe or some sort. He did his commute back to back for two weeks with the coasting settings on and off, and he got better mpg with the car in gear.
    What are 'coasting' settings on the Beemers John ?

Quote Originally Posted by -alan- View Post
    Not sure what you mean by coasting - but if it's freewheeling, neutral used less fuel as there's no engine braking, and you'll travel further from any given speed.
    Ah...but the car is fuelling in neutral, and not fuelling when coasting in gear

Ah got you on the Coasting front. More complex for sure.

You'd have to redefine the question I suppose and clarify whether you're talking about a once off manoeuvre over a particular distance or speed, and what happens once you get there - are there repeated cycles of deceleration/acceleration etc. Easy to model if you had some basic data - but damn nigh impossible to debate meaningfully otherwise I'd say.
    Last edited by -alan-; 08-11-2018 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    Ah...but the car is fuelling in neutral, and not fuelling when coasting in gear
    Correct!! better off leaving in gear. Clarkson explained it on top gear once while trying to hypermile a Audi A8 4.0 Tdi. Also cruise control kills fuel economy apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my second insight ,boot to the board 120 on motorway from Dublin to Cork, really didn't treat her nice still returned 53/6 mpg ,drove up like a granny on another import Suzuki swift zc72s automatic at a steady 85/90 km and only returned 45/6 mpg ,so needless to say I bought my 2nd insight, traded in an older model last July and ever since was regretting it🤔 smiling now back in frugality country 👍👍👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by -alan- View Post
    What are 'coasting' settings on the Beemers John ?
    I think it's where the auto transmission disconnects itself entirely to reduce deceleration from engine braking. I'm not sure how this would have much noticeable benefit on a non hybrid vehicle as now you've got to inject fuel slowly to keep the engine turning over as Dimitri says.

Auto gearboxes are very sophisticated things there's days overall though, from coasting to fully locked, far from the days of them being dumb "slushboxes" that'd just waste power through fluid coupling mush.
    Last edited by crank_case; 04-06-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corks finest View Post
    On my second insight ,boot to the board 120 on motorway from Dublin to Cork, really didn't treat her nice still returned 53/6 mpg ,drove up like a granny on another import Suzuki swift zc72s automatic at a steady 85/90 km and only returned 45/6 mpg ,so needless to say I bought my 2nd insight, traded in an older model last July and ever since was regretting it🤔 smiling now back in frugality country 👍👍👍👍
    My swift sport is currently showing an average of 47mpg, so either yours was being affected by being automatic or cars are notoriously underpowered these days and the bigger engine can run at lighter loads

Holy thread-revival

Quote Originally Posted by Corks finest View Post
    On my second insight ,boot to the board 120 on motorway from Dublin to Cork, really didn't treat her nice still returned 53/6 mpg ,
    If that's in old money - then 53-56mpg isn't too shabby at all.

What a depressing thread! 😀. But interestingly my wife's Modus 1.1l returned much the same if you trashed it or drove it gingerly. Hours at 5000 rpm going to Donegal with 4 people and gear for a week, she did 760 km on one tank. Which is roughly the same as it usual popping around to the shops. And depressingly, thrashing it or driving it gingerly made no difference to performance either! 😀 😀

I think hypermiling/energy efficient driving is cool as an exercise in driving styles and being aware of the impact of your own driving on economy using blockshifting, accelerating fast up to road speed, using engine braking but I really disagree with things like coasting in neutral, drafting trucks or turning off the engine while travelling downhill.
    2003 BMW 325i Sport Touring (E46)
    2018 Volvo V40 D2 R-Design
    2005 Adria Coral 630DH