Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: My New Kawasaki ZRX 1200 R

So the paddock stand I have is just not suitable for the ZRX. Works fine with the rest of the bikes but it just raises the ZRX too high which needs superhuman strength to do and control as the whole operation can become a bit unstable if you don't have your wits about you. The bike has already fallen over once during this lifting - thankfully virtually no damage. Bent brake lever which I have since replaced.

Letting the bike back down can be almost as tricky.

Anybody recommend a good paddock stand for this bike. Apparently the mounts for it are way lower than most bikes hence why it ends up so high when lifted.

Last edited by Alfaguy; 06-08-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Try rolling the back wheel over a bit of 6x1" or 8 x 1.5" wood cut to size so (or any suitable small plate) to lift it. That'll raise the height of the bobbins and make life a lot easier without the need to invest in another stand.

Surprised such a bike doesn't have its own centre-stand

This might not work, but have you considered using the bottom shock mount bolts as the location for a bobbins?

Failing that, lots of Rex owners swear by the Abba stand. It's not cheap, but it allows you to raise the front of the bike too.

https://abbastands.co.uk/product-det...ke-stand&pid=1
    Last edited by pedrosixfour; 06-08-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Surprised such a bike doesn't have its own centre-stand
    Because race bike baby!

Brought my stand in the picture down to the metal fabrication / engineering place just now to have them drill new holes lower in the tubes just above the bend with a small pipe insertion to act as the axle for the hooks (exactly as its done in the higher holes) as well as a bit of metal strengthening near the bend just in case the stresses might be too much. Not sure will this work as regards lower effort required but it will definitely lower the bike so that the tyre is just clearing the floor and not 6 inches above it as it is now.

I have so much stuff in my garages now that I don't need another paddock stand clogging up the place.

The issue with the wood plank is that the bike leans quite a bit on its side stand already so if you raise the bike by even that much the lean angle would become quite precarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfaguy View Post
    Anybody recommend a good paddock stand for this bike.
    I have so much stuff in my garages now that I don't need another paddock stand clogging up the place.

The issue with the wood plank is that the bike leans quite a bit on its side stand already so if you raise the bike by even that much the lean angle would become quite precarious.
    Unless someone has modified/changed the one on your bike, the Rex is renowned for having too little of a lean angle when on the side stand and has a tendency to roll off the stand if parked incorrectly on a slope or even bumped hard enough on the flat.

Brought my stand in the picture down to the metal fabrication / engineering place just now to have them drill new holes lower in the tubes just above the bend with a small pipe insertion to act as the axle for the hooks (exactly as its done in the higher holes) as well as a bit of metal strengthening near the bend just in case the stresses might be too much. Not sure will this work as regards lower effort required but it will definitely lower the bike so that the tyre is just clearing the floor and not 6 inches above it as it is now.

Gotya

Drilling the hole lower is a good idea. It'll actually reduce the bending load on the paddock stand, so if they do it anyway professionally sounds like the perfect solution.

Result!

Just lifted the bike now and what a difference. Only about 15% of the lift effort previously needed and no instability. It lifts the wheel clear of the ground by about a half inch which was cutting it close but it will do.